cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Coordinate sys

ptc-5020391
1-Newbie

Coordinate sys

Hello

Can anyone help me with this?

I have a model which is rotated 90 degrees in the coordinate system. Y is supposed to be where X is now.

The model has many subassemblys and parter. Is it possible in any easy way to

rotate everything and even all parties to be correct?

/Petra

7 REPLIES 7

hi,

Propably easiest is to make a new assembly, and assemble the whole thing (top level assembly) into this new assembly.

~Jakub

Yes I was thinking the same Jakub, but the problem is that then it's just the top assembly that is correct.

If you open the subassemblys and parts they still are rotated 90 deg.

Can you open a part/subassembly and select the whole model and rotate it without the geometry crashes?

/Petra

If the assembly, and the subassies with parts within, and so the features within those, are placement dependent then it might be a problem to rotate the whole thing around. As you say it may crash, in case you want to keep all the parametric information in there.

Try to rotate all the subassies by changing their placement, and then also rotate the top level assembly. If it's not build in placement dependant manner then it should, as a whole, regen without any trouble.

Better said try looking into a reference viewer for each of these subassemblies before doing any changes to see if there are placement dependencies, to each of the other subassiemblies. That alone might not be enough if the whole thing isn't build with top down design methodology, there could be parts of subassemblies dependent on other parts either in other subassemblies or the top level assembly, but who knows.

I can't see any good reason for you to want to rotate the assembly. You can always make a new coordinate system in each subassy, if the old ones with dependencies trouble you too much.

~Jakub

I need to deliver the model in the right orientation because it is the company policy.

The model is build up with skeleton and the subassemblys/parts are independent to each other.

I tried to make a new ACS0 in the head assembly and then I redefined the placement of the subassemblys to the new coordsys. The model rotates but x will always be x. Not y. What am I missing?

But it regen without trouble.

Yeap, well, if all the components are independent on each other, you could go into each subassy, and change placement of all of the parts there, so they would be in the position you would like in relations to each of the subassies. But I guess that would be too much work? Not sure how big is the assembly.

Propably too much work just for a company policy.

Some companies make policies just to make some bean counter look good. This is one of those that should simply fall off the list.

You might just have a lot of work ahead of you, Petra. The risk in redefining all the parts and assemblies without making any mistakes just isn't worth it. If it is all because someone wants an exported file in a certain orientation, you can add a coordinate systems specifically for exporting.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ptc-5020391)

Can you go into the definition of the placement of the base part of the assembly and redefine how it is placed? If the subassembly are place in relation to the base part, they should all move with it. If they are place with a combination of placement of the base part and the coordination system, then you may have to go back and redine the relations between the subassemblies after the initial rotate. Esle, I think it would have to be put into it's place as Jakub recommended.

Top Tags