cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Counting how many times a symbol is present on a drawing.

MartinBach
7-Bedrock

Counting how many times a symbol is present on a drawing.

Hi,

I am looking for an automatic way to count how many times one specific symbol is added to a drawing, and store the number in a parameter.

Any suggestions?

/Martin

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

I tried Find for a Symbol, Name = ... and it put up a count, but getting that to a parameter would require an external tool like AutoIT or an internal one like Tookit.

Find also wasn't too informative on what it found, so it depends on what you mean by 'specific.'

David,

Using Find and specify the name of the symbol, give a list where you can count the number of times the symbol is present. It is this count I would like to have stored.

You could assign the selected symbols to a new layer, then in layer properties window check the info of the layer, switch to edit mode to copy the contents or just store the info window contents as a text file. After all that you could go to relations window to make or rewrite the parameter with the value from said text file.

I think the whole process can be automated, but it might take a while to make a macro of this size.

I was thinking along the same lines as Jakub. You can save the query so it automatically places the symbols with that name on a drawing layer and updates automatically but I don't know how you can grab the layer info automatically without some kind of custom toolkit or something.

Top Tags