cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Create projected 2D views of assemblies

xwalker
1-Newbie

Create projected 2D views of assemblies

I'm working with colleagues who are using AutoCAD and one of their uses is to have building floor layouts with projected top-down views of the footprint of desks and equipment.

I have modelled a set of desks in Creo and need to figure out the easiest way of creating a DXF footprint.

Is there an automated way of doing this? For the moment, I can only think about creating a sketch on the floor plane referencing the outer edges of my assemblies but that's quite a time consuming process.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you have already modeled your required plan then you can quickly create some top views in a drawing and save-as that drawing to .dxf or .dwg format that is AutoCAD format.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

If you have already modeled your required plan then you can quickly create some top views in a drawing and save-as that drawing to .dxf or .dwg format that is AutoCAD format.

Just create a drawing from your Model by the following method,

New ---> Drawing (enable tic mark on the "Use Default template") ----> select "Use template" option -----> select the paper size -----> It will give you the default views of Front,Top & Side View

you can save as this file as DXF which can be opened in AutoCAD

Thank you both for your responses, after playing around a bit, I went down the drawing route.

Once I changed the scale and removed the page border, it's fine and accurate. It just takes forever - need a more powerful PC - and creates a large file as it has all the details of every vertex.

Out of interest, is there a way of simplifying it further? I've already set the view to hide the hidden lines so simplified it as much as obviously possible.

Thanks

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:xwalker)

Maybe your desk model is too detailed so your dxf output if too big. A desk can be as simple as a rectangle (4 lines).

A screen shot might help.

It is quite complex and there are a lot of lines representing things on the desk. I could of course temporarily delete them / hide them so they don't show up. It would simplify the drawing. Or, once you have the DXF, manually delete the lines inside.

Top Tags