cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Create reference note.

cschmid
12-Amethyst

Create reference note.

Is there a way that I can create a note that is referenced in many drawings? We have several plating specifications that we would like to control by a part number for example: 67110435-10 = "ASTM F1941-15, FE/ZN 5ANS, ROHS COMPLIANT, MUST MEET 96 HOUR SALT SPRAY PER ASTM B117" Our engineering department wants to control this note with a part number so that we have the ability to update our specification as requirements change. Perhaps salt spray requirements will change or the ASTM number. In any case our purchasing department doesn't want this note to be taken off of the print because they do not want to be required to look at another document for the specification. So I would like to try and create a note that is tied to a reference file so that my team has the ability to change the note when we change the specification/partnumber. Then instead of changing 100,000 drawings my team can simply republish them to the latest and the publisher will read the updated parameter/specification. Is there a good way to do this?

5 REPLIES 5

@cschmid wrote:

Is there a way that I can create a note that is referenced in many drawings? We have several plating specifications that we would like to control by a part number for example: 67110435-10 = "ASTM F1941-15, FE/ZN 5ANS, ROHS COMPLIANT, MUST MEET 96 HOUR SALT SPRAY PER ASTM B117" Our engineering department wants to control this note with a part number so that we have the ability to update our specification as requirements change. Perhaps salt spray requirements will change or the ASTM number. In any case our purchasing department doesn't want this note to be taken off of the print because they do not want to be required to look at another document for the specification. So I would like to try and create a note that is tied to a reference file so that my team has the ability to change the note when we change the specification/partnumber. Then instead of changing 100,000 drawings my team can simply republish them to the latest and the publisher will read the updated parameter/specification. Is there a good way to do this?

Hi,

I guess you can put reference note into special Creo part, add this part to the drawing and show annotation from this model. Unfortunatelly this leads to modification of 100,000 drawings. Maybe this process can be automated.

Martin Hanák
rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine
(To:cschmid)

I understand your desire to make this convenient and I don't know what industry you are in but in our business there is no way we could allow a change to all of these drawings without proper documentation and CN's. That being said I assume you are using Windchill? If that is the case then you could follow something like Martin's recommendation because you could access the drawing As Stored to maintain the old note and Latest to get the updated note. 

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:rreifsnyder)

I agree completely on the change to the face of the drawing without a revision of some sort. It's just not something I have ever seen done anywhere I have worked.

Who is going to be able to explain having the same drawing with the same revision with something different?

Who's going to be accountable when a vendor builds to the wrong print (but the correct revision)?

I think you are going to have to use an internal spec document that will control it. Its pretty much the same as referencing ASTM specs as you currently are. 

cschmid
12-Amethyst
(To:StephenW)

I can see your point, however, we do send a copy of the drawing every time we send out parts for plating.

The problem is that we have old drawings that call out old specifications for hexavalent chromate and our new specification calls out trivalent chromate.  If I change my specification the print callout no longer agrees with our internal specification.

I am ok with bumping the revision of 10,000 prints, but copying and pasting the callout a thousand times is a very inefficient process.

So would the most effective way to update these drawings to add a note or parameter that references a part (specification name)?

Hi, I've been looking at similar issues related to materials.

In the material definition file you can add user defined parameters. So coating spec could be one or a number of parameters in the material. This needs a relation to pull in for reuse in the model which would drive notes on the drawing. So material parameter might be (Coating_1) to reuse the relation would be something like Plating_spec=material_param("Coating_1").

Relations can pulled in from a file so no need for lots of data entry, or can cut and paste.

I looked at using this for colour and paint specs as they are multiple for each material and called in the parameters from restricted table driven parameter. It's a bit of a pest to setup as syntax is very sensitive but can be added to at any time without screwing everything up. Just pull in the new option defined.

If this of interest I can try to get an example over to you. Check this forum someone did similar for pulling in plate and sheet material specs.

Top Tags