cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Creating BOM Balloons based on model geometry, feature (not parts)

lucky_luke
4-Participant

Creating BOM Balloons based on model geometry, feature (not parts)

Hi All

I was wondering if you think that the below is possible in Creo2.

I want to show the BOM Balloons on the drawing but from the features defined in the model not the parts. Other words, I want to point out surface (preferred) in a model and then auto generate BOM Balloons on the drawing pointing to this surface.

I don't want to add new parts to existing assembly. I was think of adding datum point or annotation etc. but how to relate the balloons to it? Or maybe other auto generated, self-defined balloon?

I will appreciate any thoughts, as this might guide to new ideas.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

To the best of my knowledge you can’t do this, at least not as you’ve described; I don’t think repeat regions can be taken down to feature level. [Edit: had somehow called them family tables, not repeat regions. Corrected]

The only way around this that I can think of is to add empty parts or bulk items to the assembly, in the locations you want to show BOM balloons. Give the empty parts parameters relating to the information you want to see in the table, then create a repeat region, filtered to show only those items and with columns for the parameters you have created.

I know you said you don’t want to add items to the assembly, but I can’t think of another method. However, there are plenty of people out there with better brains for this sort of thing than I, so someone will hopefully have a better solution.

In case you're still looking for ideas...

You migh want to investigate designating features as objects using TOOLS - MODEL INTENT - DESIGNATE - "ojbects" tab.  I was able to designate a datum point as a part and give it a name.  This point then shows up in a repeat region BOM as a component.  However, I was unable to get an automatic BOM balloon to show for it.  So I suspect this is a dead-end but maybe you'll discover something I didn't see.

Top Tags