cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Creating PDF issues

KenFrederick
3-Visitor

Creating PDF issues

We have been using Ghostscript to output PDF drawings. But a couple of the computers after upgrading form WF4 to Creo 2.0 have decided they dont want to play with GS any more. We all use a common batch file to print so its something on the indiviual computer but as far as we can tell the faulty PCs have got all the same files and directories as another PC that prints fine. Any Ghostscript experts here?

So, since thats not working. I decided to implement the built-in PDF printer in Creo. It works pretty good except for two things. 1) I dont see a way to have the PDF output use and different pen table than normal printing. 2) The PDF files end up with an outline of the drawing sheet which prints out on paper (not desireable). I need to get one of these PDF printers working like it used to work when we had a decent version of ProE.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

AFAIK

1) The pcf needs to have the correct system command to call Ghostscript

2) Ghostscript needs to be in the correct place

3) Folders need the correct permissions to allow files to be created/deleted

You can check to see if Ghostscript is working by using Ghostview or you can use the CMD window to run it directly.

I'd look for a change in a system variable that is causing the system command in the pcf to fail.

I know nothing about GhostScript other than there has been previous discussion involving this.

As for pen tables and export PDF, you need to have the pen table in your working directory and named "table.pnt" so when you enable the "use pentable" option, it finds this file and only this file. There might be other methods, but I know this works and is easy to use.

As for the PDF options profile file, it too want to be in the working directory.

I would like to remove that outline as well. Not sure how this is done with a format file showing.

David: In the back of my head I think it is a permissions issue but I dont know how to pin point exactly what is not cooperating. Best I can tell though, all computers have the same GS folders exactly the same. We use print batch and configuration files located on a server so every user uses the same files. Yet some computers will print, some wont. So I tend to think its a permission or environment varible has been altered.

Tony: The pen table problem is that the PDF printer wants to use the same pen table we use when going directly to the paper printer. We had to bold up all the line wieights for paper printer output as the thin lines do not scan good. That same pen table used with PDF output makes the lines too thick (or least thicker than I like).

I think the border outline might be solved. Even though the border outline in the PDF can be seen in Acrobat print preview, if scale is set at 100% and Auto Center turned on, the border outline does not print on real paper.

Ken, I might suggest your pen table file is not complient for some reason if it is in the working directory.

I have a very simple pen table called table.pnt in my working folder and it works wonders.

Copy all the lines below into a file called table.pnt, all lower case, and select "use pentable" in the export PDF dialog. This is merely a test where the output should be all thin lines. Also make sure there is not a hidden .txt extention on your filename.

! All pens are set to .002 in this file. This is a basic setting.

! To vary thickness, tweak individual values for different pens.

!

! Other options are available. Refer to documentation on "pen table files"

!

!

!

pen 1 thickness .002 in

pen 2 thickness .002 in

pen 3 thickness .002 in

pen 4 thickness .002 in

pen 5 thickness .002 in

pen 6 thickness .002 in

pen 7 thickness .002 in