cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Creating a knurled surface in WF 4.0

ChristianSmith
1-Newbie

Creating a knurled surface in WF 4.0

Is there an easy way to create a knurled surface in WF 4.0? Here is a jpg of what I'm trying to knurl.

16 REPLIES 16

Hello Christian

If you need to create knurl, use standard features: Sweep cut (1. Crate Curve >>> 2. Insert>Sweep>Cut and than you can Pattern created features).

Second option: Create Helical Sweep feature.

Vladimir.

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

... maybe easy way is create custom color defined with knurl texture (download here or here)

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Vladimir,

Your texture suggestion is a clever idea; I've done something similar in the past by just patterning crossed helical datum curves on the surface, but the texture is even better.

David

Christian,

Check this out for details:

http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_25/howto/agf362/agf362.htm

Just be aware that including a lot of knurls, like including a lot of threads, in a model can impact regeneration time.

If a cosmetic approach such as the one Vladimir suggested works for you, you are probably better off.

David

Hello Christian

I am inclined to believe that it is better to have cosmetic features as the full geometry (in this case)

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

I'm trying to create a custom color using the JPG I downloaded but can't seem to figure it out. Is it possible to do this in WF 4.0?

Hello ChristianChristianSmith

Do you need create and customize your own texture with Pro|ENGINEER Wildfire 4.0?

Here is a few steps

Video Link : 1910

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Excellent video Vladimir!

Very helpful thank you. I was trying to do something like that years ago and never figured out how, the secret is finally revealed.

Hello Christian

I'm glad I could help. Have a nice day and see you sometimes again

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Very nice video.

Great video, thank you for that. I just followed your wildfire video to get my Creo app to show knurls. I wasn't able to find the "color placement/Positioning" dialog though.

Color_Placement.JPG

Would you happen to know anything about Creo and how I can get to that same functionality?

Editing texture with Creo Parametric 1.0

Video Link : 2344

Here is short video tutorial: Editing texture with Creo Parametric 1.0

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Ah....ha...!!! Thank you Vladimir, that is just what I needed! Have a great day.

You are welcome, Carol

Have a nice day too.

Vladimir.

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
Top Tags