cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Creo config assembly options

Dom_BOUCHARDY
9-Granite

Creo config assembly options

Good morning,

Currently, in our CREO setup, a user has the ability to open an assembly that has components that have failed placement. He can work quietly, make backups, etc.

I would like to know if there is an option that:

- forces a designer to correct the placement of a component when opening

- or prevent the saving of the assembly if the placement of a component is failed.

In the past (in creo 2 and 3), CREO "forced" us to correct the placement of a component when opening an asm, and the CAD administrators have changed, this obligation has disappeared and currently we are thinking about restore this option. However, I didn't find what I was looking for in the assembly configuration options.

Could you help me?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We use ModelCheck to detect failures at Save time.

The key to using ModelCheck is knowing which check options to issue as Errors (prevent check-in to Windchill) or Warnings or just to report the checking of that option. In our system, we have a limited number of options set to errors and these all deal with parameters that we as a company require. Other checks are usually warnings that will display in the MC pop-up after it runs. The other thing we have done is set it so it only checks the object being checked in and does not run ModelCheck on components or sub-assemblies. This may still prevent check-in of component objects, but they should be identifiable in the MC reports. We did have an issue with the number of days since MC was last run parameters, so we set it to a very large number, more days than the Windchill system has been running. This is 4 years for one system and 16 for the other.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Modelcheck is what you would want to use to find failed assemblies/features and give warnings or errors based on your desires. 

Training your users is your best defense. 

You would never want to implement an option that would prevent saving a file. In a little picture world, a 5 part assembly probably wouldn't be an issue. In a big picture world, dealing with a 1000 component assembly with multiple sub-assy's can sometimes take days/weeks to fix all  the little issues that have accumulated over time. Most are caused by lower level part/assembly changes that when a top level design is opened, suddenly there are dozens of unexpected failures.  My favorite example is a top level assembly I was working on was doing just fine. I had multiple assemblies in my top level that belonged to other groups. Along the way, I opened my top level and started having placement failures, over and over and over. Turns out, someone had updated a hyd fitting, that specific elbow was used 143 times on one of the assemblies within my model, and multiple times on other models. AFTER much cussing, I was able to work thru the issues but it took a substantial amount of time and research and negotiation with the other group about the proper course of action

Thanks for you sharing 🙂

It is very inspiring.

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Dom_BOUCHARDY)

allow_save_failed_model (yes, no, prompt) may be the config you are looking for.

If you are using Windchill, model check may be a better option to prevent uploading of failed assemblies and models.  Sometimes a failure may require several hours to resolve, and not being able to save during that time is just begging for a power failure or fatal error to wipe out that data, not to mention leaving it up on the computer running overnight or over the weekend.

There is always more to learn in Creo.

Yes, we use Windchill.

Thanks, i will explore the model check option.

We use ModelCheck to detect failures at Save time.

The key to using ModelCheck is knowing which check options to issue as Errors (prevent check-in to Windchill) or Warnings or just to report the checking of that option. In our system, we have a limited number of options set to errors and these all deal with parameters that we as a company require. Other checks are usually warnings that will display in the MC pop-up after it runs. The other thing we have done is set it so it only checks the object being checked in and does not run ModelCheck on components or sub-assemblies. This may still prevent check-in of component objects, but they should be identifiable in the MC reports. We did have an issue with the number of days since MC was last run parameters, so we set it to a very large number, more days than the Windchill system has been running. This is 4 years for one system and 16 for the other.

Thanks for the feedback.

As i say, i will explore the model check options.

Could you share the options name you have selected?

Top Tags