cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Creo parametric allows close without prompt, but always prompts to save on exit

tfreeburn
1-Newbie

Creo parametric allows close without prompt, but always prompts to save on exit

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing Creo Parametric and so I am running the trial edition. After creating some parts and an assembly, then closing them, when I try to exit Creo, it prompts:

PTC Creo parametric trial edition will terminate and any unsaved work will be lost. Do you reall want to exit?

The problem is that it still prompts even if I have saved everything and closed all open windows, I guess it is still referring to something in session? I accidentally lost some exersizes I did, and this worries me a little that if I do buy it, I might lose real work. I did open the in session part ok, but the assembly still was a previous version. It doesn't prompt to save work when I for example close a modified assembly.

If it falsely prompts to save work when it has already been saved (or just reminds you to always save), one tends to ignore the dialogue box as being "that silly box that always pops up on close", and this is where work gets lost.

Is there anything I can do to change this, or is there something I have missed? Or am I alone here in my gripe!

[Apologies if this has been answered already, but I couldn't seem to find any relevant answers with a few searches]

Thanks,

Tim

9 REPLIES 9

That's a generic prompt that happens whenever you close Creo.  In fact, I think if you open it and don't even open any files it'll still say that.  It doesn't track whether a file has been changed and not saved, that's up to you.

There is a config option to control a prompt for each open file upon exit, but I'm not sure what it is or if it checks for unsaved work or just prompts you to save every file.  Hopefully someone who uses it can comment.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Use the option:

Prompt_On_Exit YES

dross
3-Visitor
(To:tfreeburn)

To turn off the dialog box add this to your config.pro:

prompt_on_exit no

To save all changed objects in an assembly when you save the assembly or drawing, put this in your config.pro:

save_objects changed

JM_LPE
11-Garnet
(To:dross)

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I can't seem to find my answer or start a new topic.

This is driving me insane and I have lost so much work because of it.

What config.pro setting do I need to change so that PTC Creo 2.0 will prompt me to save the file if it has been modified since my last save before closing the window?

I have tried turning prompt_on_exit to yes and prompt_on_erase_not_disp to yes but that is not what I am looking for. Hopefully the attachment below clears things up on what I am trying to accomplish. I don't want to be able to close a window, either from that file or the normal windows x in the top right corner without being prompted to save. Surely there is a way to accomplish this?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:JM_LPE)

Sorry, this does not exist.  The closest you can get is "prompt_on_exit" which you've already mentioned.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

One possible workaround would be to record a mapkey to save and close, and then place this mapkey's icon on the toolbar.  Then when you want to close a window you could click your custom icon instead and it will save first and then close the window.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Have you used the Save_Objects changed in your config.pro?

What I ended up doing was making a new mapkey icon that prompts me to save before closing. It is kind of annoying that I can't figure out how to make it not give me the prompt if it has already saved and there have been no modifications, but this in my opinion is better than the original functionality programmed by the developers at PTC.

It is currently set to change and specified. I have tried other settings but it does not appear to be the config.pro option I want.

Save_Objects seems to only be relevant to assemblies.

Top Tags