cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Custom BOM Balloon with Manual Override

wbottis
12-Amethyst

Custom BOM Balloon with Manual Override

Hello,

In Creo 5, I am creating a custom BOM balloon.  In the custom symbol, I have added a note below the balloon to allocate space for entering quantity manually as shown.  After placing the BOM balloon, shouldn't there be a way to change the value for 'QTY'?  Double-clicking the balloon, there is no option to do so it seems.  Thanks.

wbottis_0-1596631190193.png

20 REPLIES 20
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:wbottis)

Is this a "driven" balloon for a repeat region BOM or is it just a symbol that is completely manually driven?

On a repeat region balloon, I don't think there is a way to add modifiable text for each balloon.

For a manual symbol, when you create it, it looks like you have it correct with the slashes.In the symbol creation , when you select the text and then attributes, select variable text to see the variable stuff.

StephenWilliams_0-1596632852548.png

wbottis
12-Amethyst
(To:StephenW)

This is a driven balloon for a repeat region.  The Attributes dialogue box has a radio button 'Preset values only'.  What does this do?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Preset values is when there is a limited number of "values" a user can set an item to, maybe A, B, C, D only, no other values allowed.

I have never seen a repeat region balloon with modifiable values. If you really need modifiable values, you may want to look in to component parameters that you will be able to use within your BOM table/ BOM Balloons

wbottis
12-Amethyst

I am trying to find another way around this BOM balloon, simplified rep, multi-sheet drawing fiasco.  I have asked our National Modeling Team to look into it.

If I have a drawing view using a master rep with BOM table and I am using the split circle with quantity, is there a way to specify how many of that item is displayed in the balloon?  I want to point out a fastener that is used 100 times, but only show 20.  Redistribute qty requires adding another balloon with the same find number, which i am trying to avoid because the view is not appropriate to show all 100 fasteners.  Thanks.

wbottis
12-Amethyst

Is there a way to merge balloons vertically instead of horizontally?

wbottis
12-Amethyst

found the answer to this one.  merge the balloons, then drag the balloon until it snaps beneath the balloon above it.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Now, let's discuss simplified reps. What is your use of simplified reps? 

PTC's reason for making simplified reps was basically large assembly management, so you could work faster in a large model and not have all the components in memory (I've made assemblies I couldn't open in master rep due to memory issues (pre-64 bit computers).

We (users) tend to use simplified reps for other reasons.

wbottis
12-Amethyst

we use simplified reps to do the same.  But, ultimately, all models turn into drawings so that the information is communicated properly downstream to MFG.  If you can't leverage the smart balloon functionality, much of the detailing effort for assemblies goes into manual accounting and this is a waste of time and a source of errors. Organizations that use Creo develop thousands of drawings every year, so this turns into a big pile of waste.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

This is all about your process. 

Lets ignore the simplified rep part for right now.

If you have one BOM on your drawing that is associated to the assembly model (master rep), any time you show a balloon, it will show the total qty of items in the entire BOM.

The way I handle this is I make a temp view, show the balloons I am working on at the time and then I show a new balloon on the view I am working on and it asks for the qty you want to display. It will subtract that qty from the temp balloon. 

I keep the temp view/balloons and keep showing balloons and/or using redistribute and/or split to eventually eliminate the balloon on the temp view.

It can be a long process if you have a "large" assy.

wbottis
12-Amethyst

what do you do with the temp view when you're done?  Sounds like you would not be able to delete it.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

If you only have 1 bom table for the whole drawing and you account for all balloons on other views, you won't have any balloons on the temp view. So I can delete it.

If you are using multiple bom tables, well, you'll be stuck with the temp views.

wbottis
12-Amethyst

yes, I see how this temp view would work with a single sheet drawing.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

You can use one table across multiple sheets.

Depending on my mood for the day, I will either create the drawing all on one sheet and then move the views to different sheets and then re-adjust view.

OR

I will just move my temp view from sheet to sheet to split off the large qty balloons and show the other balloons on the normal views as I go

OR

well, I can't think of another or...LOL

wbottis
12-Amethyst

ok, i did not appreciate that for multi-sheet drawings.  assuming you are using the same rep in all views as we discussed (i.e. one BOM table as you mention).  That sounds like a good technique.

wbottis
12-Amethyst

is there a way to drag the part number and description to the other side of the balloon in a smart balloon symbol. I can pull the drag handle so that the leader changes sides, but can you do this for the text outside of the balloon?

wbottis_0-1596640511775.png

wbottis
12-Amethyst

I thought one of these options would enable that type of functionality, but it does not appear to be the case.

wbottis_0-1596640789607.png

StephenW
23-Emerald II

You can't drag it. You can make the symbol able to rotate, keeping the text not rotated.

Try using properties on the symbol, and use the +90 button to rotate. You'll have to experiment which option allows that. I can't remember right off hand.

wbottis
12-Amethyst

yes, bingo, that worked.  right-click the symbol>properties>+180 as shown below.  Thank you, Stephen.

wbottis_0-1596641707562.png

wbottis
12-Amethyst

but...it inverted the quantity and find number inside the balloon...ahh

StephenW
23-Emerald II

So going back to the usage of reps, IF you are using the master rep anywhere in the drawing, there is no "large assembly" benefit to using a simplified rep since all the models are in session since the master rep is in session.

I do understand and do have the same problem though, I use simplified reps for "other" reasons on drawings. (view simplification is my primary reason, sometimes for different systems that are on the same drawing, etc).

I've considered using layers. I often use component display (can quickly become a nightmare to manage) but try to limit component display.

All that being said with no solution! I would suggest looking at your process and seeing if you can adjust away from simplified reps on assembly drawings (until PTC fixes this...how many years...well, better not hold your breath).

Top Tags