cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Datum Creation Technique Reference?

ptc-4864603
1-Newbie

Datum Creation Technique Reference?

i'm curious if anyone has created or knows of a reference about the different ways to make datums?

example: offset angled datum planes (disclaimer: i don't know if this is the best way, just giving an example)

1. click datum plane, leave window open
  2. click axis datum
    1. create offset axis to be used for plane rotation
  3. Accept creation of axis
  4. the axis should be preselected for the plane creation
  5. Select a reference datum
  6. enter rotation angle
  7. accept creation of plane

i had started a notebook as I came across creative ones but i lost it.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

OMG... I actually followed that explanation

is that a good or a bad thing

It means I need to get a real life!

I am still very conflicted about making internal datums to features. On the one hand, I like a clean feature tree and on the other, I don't like having these things locked up by one feature.

As for your direct question, I might try to use an earlier feature to establish the axis for a datum plane to assigned to. Any extrude with a geometry point will generate an axis for me. I can also place geometry points in sketches for a datum reference at a later time. I guess it all depends on just how many superfluous planes or axes I need to create to get the end result. Whatever I choose to do, I usually regret it later anyway. So for me, a skeleton type sketch(es) to maintain my intent is the easiest way to manage highly dependent models that are in flux as the design evolves. If I hadn't committed to drawings yet, I will usually allow time to clean up the models for better sustainability.

Top Tags