cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Dimension text

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Dimension text

Hi all, is there a way of making text added to a dimension smaller or larger than the character height of the dimension itself, without having to add a separate note & relate it to the dimension. I often have dimensions with words underneath such as male half, female half, & sometimes drawing space is an issue & being able to have a slightly smaller text height without altering the dimension text would be useful. Thanks
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

You need to add the text you want in the usual way, but enclose it with shift brackets, a number and a colon {1: }. Close the properties window, select the dimension, then reselect the bracketed text and adjust the properties. It takes a little finesse, but it's not too bad.

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply, but i cannot seem to get this to work for me. I do as instructed, but when i go to change the height of the added text it also changes the dimension text. What i require is to have the dim text 3mm & the additional text 2mm, for example, i have a flange 12.7 wide & i want G-125 to appear underneath 2mm tall Thank you in advance John

I'm just guessing, but are you picking the bracketed text while the the whole note is highlighted? If you roll your cursor over the bracketed part it will "re-highlight." Then the properties you get should only apply to that part of the note. Don't know if this means anything, but I usually use a '2' inside the brackets, maybe there's something special about that.

Hi Chris, i'm sorry to keep pestering you with this, it is not working for me, i can see the additional text re-highlight as you describe, i right click to get the properties, but when i change the height both the dimension & the text change. What version of pro-e are you running, i'm using WF4, could it be this? could i ask you a small favour, if i was to write the word HEIGHT under a dimension, how exactly should that appear, could you type that out with the brackets, the 2 you mentioned, the : etc. maybe i'm just typing it out wrong. By the way, when you go back to the dimension properties after making your change, should you still see the brackets etc. because in my case i don't, i just see the word HEIGHT i promise i'll leave you in peace now Kind Regards John

Hello john, The method what Chris explained is applicable to the general notes and not for the driven dimensions. May you have Subscripted/Superscripted text to the Dim. Syntax : @D @+test@# -- Subsripted text -Chander

Hi Chander, i'm not sure i understand your response. Regards John

John, I can explain that. You cannot change the height of part of dimensions as per your initial request. But if it was general notes you can change any part of the notes text height as explained by Chris. I thought you might be interested in this topic. Like adding superscript to the dimension. syntax: @D @+any word@# - superscript

No problem, John. I haven't tried Chander's method yet, but I know there's more than one way to do what we're talking about, I've just forgotten how. OK, so I tried making your example and I've learned that WF4 doesn't like this manipulation in dimensions. It seems the only way to change additional text height in a dimension is to get the dimension id and plug it into a leader note, then do as we've covered before. This is a very frustrating lack of consistency on pro's part. I don't like using notes in place of dimensions and I feel I shouldn't have to. Maybe I'll see something else tomorrow.
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags