cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Divide a surface into equal sized areas

kipe
2-Guest

Divide a surface into equal sized areas

Hi Creo super users

I have a rather complex double curved surface that I need to divide into equal sized areas along the length of the surface.

So far I have used planes to split the surface and then just tried different distances between planes until the right area is given.

And then repeated (many times) for each area.

So each section of the surface ends up with the same area.

It takes forever…

Could there be an easier way to do this…?

I use Creo 4

Hope to hear any kind of good advice

Thanks

Kim

3 REPLIES 3
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:kipe)

Easier, probably not.

Assuming you know how many equal sized areas you have, you could divide up the surface in to that many equal sized areas, set up that many analysis features and then manual move the divider to iterate to a solution.

Someone smarter than me might be able to get it to automate using relations and parameters.

It's possible behavioral modeler may have something to help you do this also. I haven't used it but I have seen demos of them using it to work out volumes so it stands to reason you could apply it to area also.

I don't think you could automate it to "find" a solution, because the relations interpreter is the equivalent of reading a tape. Once through and you're done. There are no linguistic constructs to do any sort of looping (for, where, until, etc.) I guess you could use an "if" that slightly modifies the dividers to redistribute areas, and just keep regenerating over and over until it's close enough...

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:StephenW)

Behavioral modeler will do exactly that. Any time you are doing a "change value, regenerate, measure until some goal loop" you need to use Behavioral modeler. This is exactly what it automates: "change value, regenerate, measure until some goal loop". It sounds complicated however it is actually easy to use.

Top Tags