cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Drawing property crossec_type "new_style" versus "Old_style".

tcusumano
12-Amethyst

Drawing property crossec_type "new_style" versus "Old_style".

In 2000i-2, the new style of x-section creation was implemented, which uses a z-clipping plane to create the cross section view.

REFERENCE:  Document - CS157231

I just noticed I had my .dtl set to "default" old_style, only took 8 years to discover this. Changing it to new_style.

1. Why would PTC, which advocates using the new_style, set the default to old_style? Should default be new_style?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:tcusumano)

Hmmm...did you try changing it to see what the difference was, if any?

tcusumano
12-Amethyst
(To:StephenW)

Here is excerpt from the case on the difference between the two. So far no complaints from users on "new_style". I don't usually get feed back from users on stuff that works well. One note from below excerpt is that "old_style" will not get any future enhancements.

• old_style: 
    • The x-section is created in drawing mode is analogues to extrude cut
    • If it fails to create x-section in drawing mode
    • if you take cut at the x-section plane, the cut feature will also fail.
  • new_style: 
    • In 2000i-2, this new style of x-section creation implemented, which uses a z-clipping plane to create the cross section view
    • So it will always create x-section successfully.
  • The “new style” is the safer way to go 
    • While we currently don’t have any plans to change or eliminate the “old style”
    • There always exists the possibility that some future enhancement will get added to the new style and not to the old style
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:tcusumano)

I saw that part. I was curious if you had actually seen the differences.

The following is my observation, not really an answer to your question... Not sure why PTC made the "non-preferred" old_style as the default but in general, all drawing options are specified in the drawing setup file, so even if they had changed the default to new_style, your drawing setup file would have continued to be set to old_style, unless you allow the drawing setup file to be over-written by a PTC provided drawing setup. This would then only apply to newly created drawings since the drawing setup is "set" when you create the drawing and only updates when specifically updated by the user. It's a safe-guard so your old drawings wouldn't automatically change with each new release.

Top Tags