cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Dual dimension display

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Dual dimension display

Hello all,

i am producing a set of drawings that need to be dual dimensioned, primary units mm, secondary units inches. It is my first time having to do this & i think i have most things figured out, but i cannot display the dimensions how i would like. At the moment i have primary units on top & secondary units (in brackets) below, but both above the leader line. How do i get the dimension to show primary above the leader line & secondary below the leader line, i'm sure this is probably a config option, but i am unable to locate.

Regards

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi John...

I'm sure none of these will be quite what you're after but here's the best we've got. All of the options you need to toggle are in the drawing options file, not config.pro

To modify these options, go to File>Drawing Options when in drawing mode. The settings used to achieve each picture are listed. For all examples ENGLISH is set to be primary and METRIC is secondary.

Settings #1:

dual_dimensioning primary[secondary]

dual_secondary_units mm

lead_trail_zeros std_english

text_orientation parallel

parallel_dim_placement below

Result #1:

Settings #2:

dual_secondary_units mm

parallel_dim_placement above

Result #2:

Settings #3:

dual_secondary_units mm

text_orientation horizontal

Result #3:

The only way to split the dimensions is to use the text_orientation set to PARALLEL but this causes all sorts of ripple effects through your dimensions. It's perfectly acceptable from an engineering standards standpoint to dispaly dual dimensions as they appear in Result # 3. While you can certainly tweak the dimensions to look like Result # 2, I'm not sure this is precisely what you're looking for.

There is NO way to keep the "line break" yet have the dimensions split the dimension line (at least no way that I've ever seen).

Note that there's also a setting for text_orientation for "ISO_PARALLEL" which gives a slightly nicer look to the dimensions (the dimension text appears centered horizontally) but otherwise the effect is virtually the same as the other results.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Let me know if you get stuck.

Thanks!

-Brian

Message was edited by: Brian Martin Ahh... unfortunately the images got separated from the text!! Sorry I'll label them next time. I believe they display in order, 1, 2, 3...

Message was edited by: Brian Martin FIXED- I uploaded a better image ...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi John...

I'm sure none of these will be quite what you're after but here's the best we've got. All of the options you need to toggle are in the drawing options file, not config.pro

To modify these options, go to File>Drawing Options when in drawing mode. The settings used to achieve each picture are listed. For all examples ENGLISH is set to be primary and METRIC is secondary.

Settings #1:

dual_secondary_units mm

Result #1:

Settings #2:

dual_secondary_units mm

parallel_dim_placement above

Result #2:

Settings #3:

dual_secondary_units mm

text_orientation horizontal

Result #3:

The only way to split the dimensions is to use the text_orientation set to PARALLEL but this causes all sorts of ripple effects through your dimensions. It's perfectly acceptable from an engineering standards standpoint to dispaly dual dimensions as they appear in Result # 3. While you can certainly tweak the dimensions to look like Result # 2, I'm not sure this is precisely what you're looking for.

There is NO way to keep the "line break" yet have the dimensions split the dimension line (at least no way that I've ever seen).

Note that there's also a setting for text_orientation for "ISO_PARALLEL" which gives a slightly nicer look to the dimensions (the dimension text appears centered horizontally) but otherwise the effect is virtually the same as the other results.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Let me know if you get stuck.

Thanks!

-Brian

Message was edited by: Brian Martin Ahh... unfortunately the images got separated from the text!! Sorry I'll label them next time. I believe they display in order, 1, 2, 3...

Message was edited by: Brian Martin FIXED- I uploaded a better image ...

Hi Brian,

the parallel_dim_placement (below) was the the option i was looking for. Like i said, 20 years doing the job & i have never had to dual dimension before, so this is new to me. Anyway, that option gives me what i want.

Regards

John

Top Tags