cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Easiest way to place holes in one part to match with other

ptc-3017729
1-Newbie

Easiest way to place holes in one part to match with other

Hello all, This may be a simple question, but I am working on two parts that have already been modeled and one of them needs to be modified to fit the other one. Part A already has holes and features on it that I want to use for Part B. Part B is essentially a cover that I want to put on top of Part A, and put holes and other extrudes so that B matches up with Part A. What is the easiest way to do this? I thought using Part A and Part B in an assembly would work, but when I put holes in B in the assembly, the modifications didn't save to Part B like I wanted. Was there a step in there that I was missing, or is there another method that is easier? Thanks.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Sounds like you used an assembly cut, and so it appears only at the assembly level. You can "activate" the part (right click on the model in the tree) and now you're adding features at the part level. You will be adding parent external refs to the assembly, but you can use the references, then delete them in favor of internal dimensions. The advantage to this is you now have no ext refs, but then it's not parametric/top-down. Just make sure you delete ALL the ext refs (INCLUDING sketching and reference datums and surfs) if that's the intent, or you'll still have a parent/child relationship.
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:DELETEME)

You can get the assembly cut features to show at the part level. On the intersect tab unselect Automatic Update, Select Part Level in the drop down list, and you can select the Show feature properties in sub models to get the assembly cut to appear as a feature in the part models.
DELETEME
1-Newbie
(To:Kevin)

"Kevin Demarco" wrote:

You can get the assembly cut features to show at the part level. On the intersect tab unselect Automatic Update, Select Part Level in the drop down list, and you can select the Show feature properties in sub models to get the assembly cut to appear as a feature in the part models.

Kevin
10-Marble
(To:DELETEME)

If you are using assembly features why wouldn't you modify them at the assembly level? I aggree if you want to modify them at the part level then make the features at the part level. However, if you are creating assembly level features, to me that means you are expecting to make the changes at the assembly level. Part of the point of getting the features at the part level is so features such as axes show at the part level. Makes creation of drawings with those features a little bit easier.

Thanks for the advice, both of you.

Assembly level cuts and holes have been discussed in this thread, but it should be mentioned that this is, in general, a much bigger topic with several possible approaches. For example, Layout and Skeleton Models can be used to make things match. Another technique which is very useful for parts with covers or two-piece housings of any type is the so-called Master Model technique. Create a part with surfaces representing the entire shell of the two-piece assembly, axes for holes, planes for ribs, etc. and copy that reference geometry into each of the two mating parts. Cut the surface to keep the "half" you need in each model, and proceed from there.

"David Butz" wrote:

Assembly level cuts and holes have been discussed in this thread, but it should be mentioned that this is, in general, a much bigger topic with several possible approaches. For example, Layout and Skeleton Models can be used to make things match. Another technique which is very useful for parts with covers or two-piece housings of any type is the so-called Master Model technique. Create a part with surfaces representing the entire shell of the two-piece assembly, axes for holes, planes for ribs, etc. and copy that reference geometry into each of the two mating parts. Cut the surface to keep the "half" you need in each model, and proceed from there.

Top Tags