cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Exchange reference sketch of an extrude by relations or ProProgram?

Eivind_Hansen
1-Newbie

Exchange reference sketch of an extrude by relations or ProProgram?

As the title say, is there any way to exchange the reference sketch of an extrude with us of relations or ProProgram?

The reference sketches I want to exchange from/to are all defined as individual sketches above the extrude feature in the model tree...

I know I kan create different extrudes for all the sketches, and then use ProProgram to select which one to use, but that is not what I am lookin for here...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

It would have been great to be able to do this, I have been looking for this as well.

My work around at the moment is to create two seperate features, each using one of the sketches, then via the program I add only one of the two features at a time using an if statement based on a parameter/relation result.

We should probably submit an enhancement request... any takers...?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Eivind_Hansen)

I've wanted this too in the past. If you really stop and think about it though, it probably wouldn't be as useful as you think. Since the sketch changed, none of the edge or surface references would be valid (except maybe intent edges). That means any other features or components that referenced this feature would fail. If all the geometry is different, then fundamentally it is a different feature and the end result really isn't any different than simply creating two separate features and using Pro/PROGRAM to swap between them.

nluyt
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Tom, thanks for your input, I understand where you're coming from, I partially agree, and beg to differ...

Intent Datum Feature!!

This magic new feature is the key, and goes WAY beyond just a reference edge, with the intent feature you can collect and reference all the sketch entities in a sketch feature and replace a "bowling ball" with a "steam iron" and everything will just magically update and follow, irrespective of the number of sketcher entities.

So now for the first time we are able to think in terms of replacing entire sketches with alternate sketches, very powerful.

however I am afraid PTC might have some catching up to do in terms of developing additional automation capability to support this new way of thinking.

Well, as stated in my original post, I know that I can make seperate features, and have ProProgram to select which one to use by IF statements, using parameters from my relations as an argument for the IF statements gives me the desired end reuslt...

But it would be awsome, as Norman said, to use ProProgram to change the reference sketch.

The use of this will obvious not be of any good if your model will have other features dependent on i.ex. surfaces of the "sketch flipping feature", but like in my case, the feature I want to change is the last one in my model tree, and no other feature is depentent to this...

If I was able to swap the reference sketch I would have a much nice looking model tree

Anyhow, I got answer to my question, so I will not spend more time on this.

Thanks

Top Tags