cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Export STEP File

DieselPig
1-Newbie

Export STEP File

Morning All

Having issue with exporting an assembly as a STP file and creating a solid.

Have trawled help, forums and interweb for info and I still see the structure of the assembly when I open the STP file in a separate application.

So far  I have shrinkwrapped the assembly then saved the shrinkwrap as a STP file, this opens as a single part but you can still see the structure.

I've tried suggestions such as surface only and the problem remains. We are using Creo 2.0 M120.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Phil,

if you need to create a step file without an assembly structure try to use this steps:

1. Open asm and create flat assembly structure - move all components into main assembly (remove subassemblies) = Restructure components to main assembly
  2. Create a Shrinkwrap model
  3. Open the Shrinkwrap
    sw-part.png
  4. Save it as STP (solid+Shells)
  5. Check the STP file - it is only one part / without structure

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi Phil,

if you need to create a step file without an assembly structure try to use this steps:

1. Open asm and create flat assembly structure - move all components into main assembly (remove subassemblies) = Restructure components to main assembly
  2. Create a Shrinkwrap model
  3. Open the Shrinkwrap
    sw-part.png
  4. Save it as STP (solid+Shells)
  5. Check the STP file - it is only one part / without structure

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

I tried, however, when the STEP (STP) file is imported by cliking "assembly" it bring all the parts and whole assembly structure is there.  however, i have seen in past that STEP file has only one part of the whole assembly.

will give another try

You can try importing the STEP file as a part instead of assembly (you can do that, simply change import option from Assembly to Part) and then export model to STEP again. That way next time it will be imported as a single part without showing the assembly structure.

I am giving a try.  at home, so system is slow.  I tried this way

Shrinkwrap

import as part.prt

save it STEP

import it as PART

save it as STEP ( Shells and Solids,   unless i need to just select SOLIDS)

then upon import, it is still as assembly with all parts. however, now color is all one color.

so still does not work.

will try other methods and update 

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:amustafa)

Don't shrinkwrap. Just export the assembly as a step and re-import it.

amustafa
3-Visitor
(To:Chris3)

will give it a try but has not worked in past.

what have now worked repetitively with my models is follows. and Credit goes to my colleague Kerry.

create STEP file ( use both ON(click) for solid and shells)

import as Assembly

Create Shrinkwrap ( first Surface Subset).  DO NO use Faceted Solid or Merged Solid)

import this newly created .prt file

save again as STEP ( use both ON(click) for solid and shells). 

Now you can import his STEP as single part or assembly, it will be one monolithic part.  it is easy to move around and use it in bigger assembly or sent to custoemrs/supplier without any history or assembly structure.

amustafa
3-Visitor

will give it a try but has not worked in past.

what have now worked repetitively with my models is follows. and Credit goes to my colleague Kerry.

create STEP file ( use both ON(click) for solid and shells)

import as Assembly

Create Shrinkwrap ( first Surface Subset).  DO NO use Faceted Solid or Merged Solid)

import this newly created .prt file

save again as STEP ( use both ON(click) for solid and shells). 

Now you can import his STEP as single part or assembly, it will be one monolithic part.  it is easy to move around and use it in bigger assembly or sent to custoemrs/supplier without any history or assembly structure.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:amustafa)

You need to set the config option:

intf3d_in_as_part YES

This turns on the ability to make assemblies into single parts. Be warned that it is a hidden config option because for complicated assemblies it can cause Creo to crash.

amustafa
3-Visitor

interesting helpful hints.  wonder if it cause CREO to crash, might PTC want to fix this in the next revision.  i think many people like to send one solid STEP files.  thanks, regards, Ahmed

Top Tags