cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

File naming limitations...

ptc-4088507
1-Newbie

File naming limitations...

Hi all,

I've never posted here before but been a proffesional ProE now Creo user and fan for about 15 years. I recently started my own design consultancy and find myself personally footing the bill for the software (as apposed to my employer providing it for me!!!)

Over that time I've been quite used to and accepted the file naming limitations...but now with Creo, and new perspective on a very expensive product I've just personally invested very heavily in, I find myself finding it hard accept what these days seem like archaic limitations of legacy software.

So...my question is this...

Is there a place to log ideas, comments, problems to the PTC development team?

I have a few long term gripes that I would like to try and get noted, but at this moment I'd like to get the file naming limitation fixed (bit of a big ask I know!!!) or at the very least feel like my voice as a (trying to be) loyal PTC user listened to on some level!

When I say file naming limitation I mean the rediculous character limit and the inability to use a 'space' in a file name.

No other piece of engineering software I have ever used suffers it...so why should I continue to suffer it with Creo? I know I'm not alone on this...and if I am....I definately made the wrong choice in picking PTC!

I'm sure any official answer will probably come back with some sort of legacy support constraint...but I'm sorry....it's 2012, surely we are way past that?!?!

Rant over!

Look forward to hearing other thoughts.

Andy

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hi Andy...

Many of us have been looking for ways to get our comments heard. I think the best recommendations right now are to participate in the Technical Committees run by PTC User and to participate here on Planet PTC. Although we don't know for sure how many of our comments are read and passed up to the development teams, we know at least a few of the developers have dropped by to chime in when a topic like this pops up.

Perhaps Planet PTC could set up a suggestion box? I don't think there IS a good mechanism for communicating vertically from the users up to PTC. We have some tenuous links here on this site... and we can always contact Tech Support, but I think the company needs to continue it's outreach efforts.

They seem to be dipping their toe into Twitter and Facebook... but I think a real overhaul of the system for communicating with users is in order.

Thanks!

-Brian

Top Tags