cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Fillet between non planar splines or sketch lines

gnewman
1-Newbie

Fillet between non planar splines or sketch lines

Hello All,

It is possible to create a fillet between a spline and a sketch line that are non planar? I want to make it flexible so I can change the angle the spiral finishes at and the legs still work.

Another way of doing it would be to create a plane on the end of the spiral in the plane leg bend. But I cant seem to do that either as it wont let me create a plane that goes through the first part of the leg, but is parallel with the axis of the spiral. 

I am trying to model a torque spring like the one below.

All help appreciated.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:gnewman)

What about using a Curve through Points?

This is an easy way of connecting one curve to another and getting tangent, or even C2 continuity.  Tangent connection shown below:

curve_thru_points_w_tangent_ends.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

You need to create datum geometry relative to the end of the helix in order to sketch the curve for the sweep for the spring end.

First, create a plane through the spring axis and normal to the end of the helix.

Second, create a point at the center of the end of the helix.  I've found it best to sketch on that surface using the plane in step 1 as the reference plane.  Sketch a construction line from the two vertexes made by the helix and place a datum point at the midpoint:

Capture.JPG

Next, make a plane through that point, normal to the end of the helix and parallel to the plane from step 1.  You should be able to sketch your spring end on this plane.  Make sure you use the end of the helix as the reference plane.  As long as you only reference the end of the helix and the center point in your sketch, It ought to be pretty robust.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
psobejko
12-Amethyst

What about using a Curve through Points?

This is an easy way of connecting one curve to another and getting tangent, or even C2 continuity.  Tangent connection shown below:

curve_thru_points_w_tangent_ends.png

HI Paul, This is want I wanted to do. Not sure how i missed this function. I must have been looking for something more difficult.

Thanks

Top Tags