cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Fishmouths, cut list, weldments, etc. for a tubular assembly?

ptc-4970344
1-Newbie

Fishmouths, cut list, weldments, etc. for a tubular assembly?

Anyone have a guide for doing this in Creo? Apparently it's built into solidworks, which is fine, except I'm on Pro/E. I've found this video: http://www.e-cognition.net/pages/Tubular.html which alludes to the ability to export by stressing the importance of keeping things up to date, but I'm wondering if anyone has a user-program to do it, or if there's something I'm missing.

Cut lists would be great, those and fishmouth unrolling (sheet-metal) would be amazing.

Ideas?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey David. That's pretty much how its done.

You can have a look at Brian Martin's excellent guide for doing something similar:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/172382#172382

I think you can do this a little simpler than the video but yes, each sub-component can quickly become dependent on the assembly. No matter what, you need the trajectories for the cuts but you can manage them all from the assembly level rather than copying the "skeletons".

And yes, Creo has realistic welds. And sure, you can "develop" a cut-list methodology using the measure tools and capturing the length of curves to determine cut length. They can be gathered and presented in several ways.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hey David. That's pretty much how its done.

You can have a look at Brian Martin's excellent guide for doing something similar:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/172382#172382

I think you can do this a little simpler than the video but yes, each sub-component can quickly become dependent on the assembly. No matter what, you need the trajectories for the cuts but you can manage them all from the assembly level rather than copying the "skeletons".

And yes, Creo has realistic welds. And sure, you can "develop" a cut-list methodology using the measure tools and capturing the length of curves to determine cut length. They can be gathered and presented in several ways.

Thanks Antonius, that link is brilliant. Between that and flattening to sheetmetal and exporting the end curves I might be set. Any links to material on writing those export scripts would be really helpful, I've only really worked on small assemblies where each part was self-defined before.

No export scripts needed.

The top-down design process is still a collection of individual parts that simply reference a higher level assembly for its definition. As long as that associativity exists, you can change to your heart's content, and if you set up the original models well enough, it will follow changes throughout the design as you tweak it. In the background, Creo will load all the data it needs to define each part as long as it can find it.

This also means that you can create drawings of any individual part or subassembly as it is defined in the associative assembly. You kind of have to look at the philosophy to understand there really are no limits, but plenty of pitfalls if you don't plan your project to some extent.

You have some things to learn but you can make "annotations" of measurements. You can also create "relations" to manage your "materials". In the top level, or any sub-level assembly, you can access these relations to build bill of material data or other custom tables on the fly.

Creo doesn't spoon feed anyone. -You- decide what you want and how you want to present it. Of course, this means, -you- have to make it do what you want.

Ok, maybe you can help me with this continuation - I think I'm starting to get it. I've got a swept tube following a skeleton curve, and two notches formed by sweeps along intersecting skeleton curves. All in an assembly. Next step for me would be to develop a flat surface from the notched tube and then use that in a drawing. I'm getting regen errors in flatten quilt.

I selected the top and bottom surfaces and Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V'd them, then am trying to flatten that resultant quilt. No matter where I put the origin point, I get failure. Any ideas? I'll post up some images/links in a minute.

EDIT: I was able to get the flattened surface I want, but only if I flattened the top and bottom separately. Not sure why the combination failed, maybe because it couldn't determine an endpoint? Suppose I can handle this with groups, etc. down the road. Right now I'm able to generate notched tubes and a flattened outer surface for my drawing, so I'll mark this answered. THANKS again!

Top Tags