cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Formed Sheetmetal Corner (Rounded Solid)

Pieface
6-Contributor

Formed Sheetmetal Corner (Rounded Solid)

I did this years ago in Wildfire and sheetmetal did not know how to flatten it, but it was good enough.  The part was originally a solid model (shown below) and am attempting to create filled corners in sheetmetal because the part is made that way.  See the pic below for solid model corner.

Solid Part Corner.JPG    Solid Part Corner Dwg.JPG

I have tried various ways in sheetmetal to fill the corner in and currently only a sweep fills in the corner, but only as a surface.  When choosing Solid (sweep as wall) sheetmetal is incapable of creating the geometry.  I am going to continue trying, but hoping someone has figured out how to do this?

Sheetmetal Corner.JPG  Sheetmetal Corner as Solid.JPG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8
Pieface
6-Contributor
(To:Pieface)

I went to Failed Geom and the following displays so I think I have a clue?

Sheetmetal Corner Failed Geom.JPG

StephenW
23-Emerald II

This is something Creo sheetmetal can't handle. Creo sheetmetal only does straight, non-intersecting bends when it comes to bending and unbending.

The math for those bends is straightforward.

Once you get to intersecting bends, you get deformation that is not simple math. You would then need tooling (forms and dies) that gives you the desired shape.

Creo doesn't do corners well.  And if you try to fix them, it doesn't do fold/unfold well.

So you have to pick your poison.  Do you want good geometry or do you need flat pattern capabilities.

Otherwise, you can always convert your part back to solid model and work with it at your content.

I only need flat pattern from time to time.

Darek
9-Granite

please, see attached file for some idea.

Check deformation control tab in unbend feature

Creo 3.0 commercial

Pieface
6-Contributor
(To:Darek)

Thanks everyone for replying.  Thank you Darek for the model.  Funny to see how it treated the two right side corners.  I am where I am and still am going to attempt to solidify the corners and hope it will flatten

Yes Antonius I do need the flat pattern, not only the flat pattern but they want the stages of the processed part.  That is being done with bends/unbends using a family table.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

We had a similar discussion not too long ago. Re: Creo Sheetmetal - Joggle Tangent Lines

There is a nice video of making a part very similar in one of the responses.

With regular press brakes, you really can't get to that part. The straight bends are easy and can be fully calculated by creo (if you have the right k or y values) but the deformed corners are gonna get you. It's a much more involved process than what creo can calculate. There is wrinkling and stretching and thining that creo can account for in the math.

Pieface
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

Fake it till you make it.  This part is not so simple.  The right and left side walls are angled.  When I created the top flanges attached to those walls, the walls were not parallel to the top plane, thus 89.814 degrees to make the walls planar.  While attempting to fill the corners I noticed there was a very slight sliver of material due to these angled side walls (highlighted red surface).

Sliver on side wall.JPG  Side wall not 90.JPG

Sometimes you just have to do what you need to do (get er done).  Create curves to represent the geometry in the drawing for now.

Curve rep corner.JPG

I dislike being beaten by a piece of software so I will revisit the top and bottom corners in an attempt to complete the geom.

Darek
9-Granite

Attached file is the similar corner design with the cut and full round crossing the bend

Please, resume the unbend feature.

Edit: attached file corrected

Capture.JPG

3.JPG

Top Tags