cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Ghost Parts

mjenkins
5-Regular Member

Ghost Parts

Does anyone have a list of the conditions that would cause a ghost part to occur when you save a drawing?

I know of these:

• Having a second model added to your drawing.

• Having suppressed components in an assembly.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:mjenkins)

On 03/30/11 16:18, Michael Jenkins wrote:
> Does anyone have a list of the conditions that would cause a ghost part to occur
> when you save a drawing?

Search for "cleanup_drawing_dependencies" on PTC's Knowledge Base. This will
return several TAN's and TPI's dealing with this issue.

>
> I know of these:
>
> * Having a second model added to your drawing.
> * Having suppressed components in an assembly.
>
> Michael R. Jenkins P.E.
> Design Engineer
> Direct: 816-801-2332
> Fax: 816-891-9432
>
> Commercial Vehicle Systems
> Haldex Brake Products Corporation
> 10930 North Pomona Avenue
> Kansas City, MO 64153-1215
>

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great topic!

We get them when we import geometry, and even bring in ProE data from previous versions of WF...

I would be interested in any resolution that anyone has as well ..... to eliminate and delete these ghost references.

David T. Francis

mjenkins
5-Regular Member
(To:mjenkins)

Here are some good solutions that I recieved about this issue:

Having a second model added to your drawing.

Having suppressed components in an assembly.

The relevant models may have references to other models not available.

Essentially ghost parts are parts or assemblies that Windchill sees are being referenced by the parts, assemblies or drawings that you have saved and it can not find. At my company, the biggest culprit is people making assembly level cuts and deleting the assembly (when working outside of Windchill).

Any reference, however minor to another, not currently in memory part will cause a ghost part. It is best to fix the problem by locating the parts or assemblies (they existed at one time to create the reference) and save it into your workspace. Second best is to to remove the unnecessary references.

Thirdly, in Windchill there is a magic tick box so that it ignores ghost parts on checkin (but they come back for the next user). Lastly, you can cheat - Windchill only cares that a file with that name exists - it doesn't care if it is the correct file or not. I don't recommend this last option because it will just confuse someone (probably yourself) in 6 months time when you come to modify the part and can't remember what you did!

Search for "cleanup_drawing_dependencies" on PTC's Knowledge Base. This will
return several TAN's and TPI's dealing with this issue.

Solution Details - TPI 114763

Use of config.pro Parameters "cleanup_layout_dependencies" and "cleanup_drawing_dependencies" to Remove Ghost Objects (References) From Layouts and Drawings in Pro/INTRALINK Workspace

Solution Details - TPI 128671

Details on tools created by PTC to automatically check a database of parts for Ghost Features.

http://download.ptc.com/download2/products/INT/feature-check.zip

Top Tags