cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Handling of external copy geometries during assembly renames

cwenner
1-Newbie

Handling of external copy geometries during assembly renames

I build many large, highly connected assemblies that are typically at least 3 indenture levels deep. Specifically these are complex mechanical layouts using primarily skeleton parts and skeleton assemblies. These models perform amazing things for my company allowing us to change rocket size and length dramatically and update nearly 1000 unique objects (and many thousands via assembly constraints) within 5 minutes. HOWEVER, I make extensive use of external copy geometry. Which leads to a big head ache.

Three or 4 times per year I am asked to make a new configuration that is to be (at least initially) exactly like the last one only with different sizing (think length and diameter of rocket stages). The rename functionality works beautifully for me EXCEPT that IN MY SITUATION, I invariably DO want the external copy geometry items in all components to now point to the NEW object. That is not current behavior when using rename within PDMLink.. and I "get" that.

Does anyone know a way to perform these large "cloning exercises" in a manner that WILL do what I want?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags