cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Hidden line issue

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Hidden line issue

Hi all,

i have raised this issue before but i keep trying in the hope someone may have a solution. The problem is with hidden lines in my drawing, i know this may seem strange, but even though this is hidden detail i want certain lines to appear as solid geometry. Is there a way of changing the line style of some hidden lines but not all in the drawing, so instead of being dashed they are solid (continuous)?

Regards

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John.Pryal
12-Amethyst
(To:Kevin)

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the reply, my only problem with that is would like my views to remain parametric, i use this model & drawing all the time. I guess i will stay with the method i have, it has served me for years. I wrap the text around the cylinder & mirror it about itself, then create 2 layers & put one on each, then its just a matter of turning the layers on & off as required.

Regards

John

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi,

perhaps i should have added that what i am trying to do is essentially look through the model as if i were looking into a cavity rather than a solid model, i know this will not make sense to some, (maybe all), but it is something that would greatly help me with my work.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Without understanding exactly what you're trying to do, would a local (partial) section be a possible solution?

Otherwise, I find the most robust way to create cosmetic detail in the drawing is to create a sketch in the model, then use layers to show it only in the appropriate view. This way you can reference the relevant geometry, and the sketch doesn't fall over or forget options if you alter drawing views.

HTH,

Jonathan

right click line style

Assuming you are using WF5 on the layout tab select Edge Display, select wireframe for the edge display type, and select the lines you want to change. If you're using an ealier version Edge Display is probably somewhere under the View menu.

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Thank you for the replies,

ok, reading back my post i realize that i have mislead you, what you have all described works for geometry, i was already aware of this. The hidden detail whose style i want to change belongs to sketched text wrapped around a cylinder, it needs to read the right way in one particular view but appear mirrored (back to front) in another. I create 2 views, 1 front & 1 rear, the front view shows the text reading right & the rear view shows the text mirrored, but its hidden, this is what i want to change.You do not appear to be able to change the style by the described method. Like i said before, some might find this diificult to understand or question why, but its how i get the job done.

Regards

John

The only way I'm finding to do what you want is to convert the view to draft entities or a draft group.

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the reply, my only problem with that is would like my views to remain parametric, i use this model & drawing all the time. I guess i will stay with the method i have, it has served me for years. I wrap the text around the cylinder & mirror it about itself, then create 2 layers & put one on each, then its just a matter of turning the layers on & off as required.

Regards

John

Hi all,

for anyone that is interested, i figured out a solution to this problem. There is a config option under drawing options, hlr_for_datum_curves, if set to no, datum curves are not treated as hidden lines anymore, they keep the same line style & colour regardless of being hidden detail.

Regards

John

Top Tags