cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

How many companies are using Pro-Piping & RSD for P & ID?

jsarkar
1-Newbie

How many companies are using Pro-Piping & RSD for P & ID?

How many companies are using Pro-Piping & RSD for P & ID? Everyone says like there are lot of companies who are using those softwares, However I wonder how many companies are actually using? specially RSD for P & ID?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Hi Jayanta...

I don't know how accurate of an answer you can receive from the message boards here. However, I can say that I've worked with at least 2 companies who have used RSD and Pro/PIPING for P&ID work. I actually really like Creo Schematics (the new name for RSD) for P&ID work.

There are two types of piping. Because the package is no longer called Pro/ENGINEER, there technically is no more "Pro/PIPING". Now it's just Piping (or maybe Creo Piping). Still, there are two types: spec driven and non spec driven.

Spec driven piping is very cool and it works well with upstream products like Creo Schematics as well as downstream products such as ISOGEN. The problem is, it's tough to configure for novices. Non spec driven piping is what the majority of companies use (in my experience). It requires very little "configuration" and allows you to get right to work.

Working in Non Spec Driven piping is like having a Ferrari ... and running behind it pushing it up and down the street. Working in Spec Driven piping is like actually driving the Ferrari. Most people never get the chance to see Spec Driven piping in action so they have no idea what they're missing.

Anyway, to get back to your question... I do not know how many people actually use the schematics package with the 3d piping solutions from PTC. There are companies using it. Personally, I've used it and I like it. Sometimes I like it better than the basic modeling package! I'm not sure if that helps... but at least I've given you my opinion.

Thanks!

-Brian

Thanks for your reply, I am also using spec driven piping for many years, its ok. However, I am facing too much problems in RSD for complex P & ID. Specially to create straight line whithout grid and since direct trimming function is not there.

Hi Jayanta...

While I would not consider myself an expert in RSD (Creo Schematics), I am an expert in the CAD system used to create RSD. The software is based on the Medusa CAD software which was popular in the late eighties and throughout the 90's. This was a full-fledged 2D CAD system (with some 3D capabilities) much like AutoCAD. In fact, it was tremendously more powerful than AutoCAD and remained so for many years.

When you're using RSD or Creo Schematics, you're basically using features that were built using Medusa functions... with a few new things thrown in. Otherwise, it's the same CAD system!

The reason I'm saying this is that absolutely without question you can draw straight lines in Medusa without a grid. In fact there are at least 3 ways to do this. Because RSD & Creo Schematics are derived from Medusa, by rule you must be able to draw straight lines in those applications, too.

When you're drawing fibers you can set the tool to draw in "orthogonal" mode which snaps all lines to vertical or horizontal automatically. You can also drop a point and specify an angle at which to draw the next line segment. By selecting 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees you can draw straight lines in any direction. You can do this using the mouse to click a location or by entering a value manually. In addition, you can use horizontal or vertical construction lines and snap your fibers to them. Finally, you can draw lines and set the "probe type" filter to choose "perpendicular" instead of auto. This will automatically snap lines to perpendicular references.

I believe there are some trimming features, too. Do you have an example you can post of where you're having a problem? It seems to me that there should be multiple ways to draw straight lines or trim lines at corners. If I can see what behavior you're seeing, maybe I can give some better advice on how to fix it. In general, if there's some function you could do in AutoCAD or any other 2D package and you can't find it in RSD, you're probably just looking in the wrong place. I can assure you, those features are there.

Thanks!

-Brian

For trimming I only know one option that is suppose you have two lines crossed each other then you have to reduce line (which you are intended to trim) by half (there has a icon in edit tool) then extend it to your desired line. This option is not that good compared to AutoCAD. Also for straight line and object snap(like how to track mid points) issues I will be sending you some pictures with examples by 1/2 days. It might have the options but very much time taking compared to AutoCAD or other 2D packages.

I can say this in all honesty... anything AutoCAD can do, RSD or Creo Schematics can do. There are absolutely better ways to trim a line than cutting it in half and re-extending it!

I'll wait for your images and we'll go from there!

Take care..

-Brian

Dear Brian,

Actually RSD needed to be installed in my newly installed pc and then I will be sending you pics, however I would like to know if any direct or better trim option is available if you know. We are using RSD 8

Regards,

jayanta Sarkar

Top Tags