cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

How to flatten the inner vanes of transit mixer drum

ptc-4982818
1-Newbie

How to flatten the inner vanes of transit mixer drum

I have been trying to create the inner vanes of transit mixer drum. As you can see in the images one vane is clockwise and the other vane is anticlockwise which has been color coded green and yellow respectively.

The problem is that:

I am unable to flatten the inner spiral and hence unable able to get developement length of the inner vanes nor the inner and outer diameter of the vane in such a way that after cutting/dividing the vanes in sections for example at an angle of 120 degrees,

since in real world the sheetmetal has to be cut in sections either by laser or plasma cutting and then twisting each section by beating with hammer and then welding it on the inner periphery of the drum inorder to take shape of a spiral.

The inner and outer diameter and flat pattern of each section of the vane is required after flattening it since it has to be sent for laser cutting in 2d

I have been try to find a solution for days but have been unsuccessful so far please help me out

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

This is a perfect case for Flatten Quilt. Divide each piece as you want them cut, place a point along a flat edge, and use the default settings.

You will find there is not a simple "radius" for a solution. You can obviously overlay a radius to see how close it is, but you will likely need DXF files to get the right shape.

Setting up the views is a lot of work. You will be repeating this process quite a few times. Be patient and set up a reliable routing for your entire process. Then get busy.

You might also mark each piece with an identifier. You will loose track with so many similar pieces.

Welcome tot he forum, Akshay!

BTW, this is a double start helix both in the same direction. They are both clockwise.

Oops Sorry,that is a double start helix in the same direction I meant the the drum rotates clockwise and anticlockwise thankyou for correcting me .I am a beginner to creo so can u give me an example what exactly do u mean .I will share my .prt file

thankyou

Firstly how do divide the inner vanes into section of 120degree and how to flatten quilt FYI I have created the model in solid modelling .

Most times it is not the operation that is a challenge, but the technique.

If you wish to manufacture this, you may want to do this as an assembly with each plate modeled separately.

Here is a surface copied from the helix. It was merges as a complete helix (sometimes these surfaces disconnect). And then the trim made a 1/3 rotation of the 1st spiral. A point was added to the edge of the new quilt. The flatten quilt was used using the 1/3 rotation quilt and the point.

Since flatten quilt has to make some determinations, you will notice that the ends are somewhat distorted. Measure the length of the edges of the flat quilt to see if the outcome is what you expect from measuring the length of the original edges.

flatten_quilt_drum.PNG

This was of particular interest to investigate further.

I used my own dimensions in order to understand the ramifications as this is quite important for such a large project. This is certainly worth creating a scaled mockup to test the validity of the data obtained form the CAD model.

In the video, I added a few techniques that will help assure proper development:

1) Distortion of Flatten Quilt is sufficient in this instance to change the straight forward technique.

2) Ensure the developed edge in the helix is the same as the developed edge of the flat pattern.

3) Use a single flatten quilt edge to develop the form with a consistent width using a second sweep.

The deformation of the initial quilt was significant. I opted to use only the interface edge between the helix and the barrel. Then confirm the edge length before sweeping the actual "shelf" width. This process should minimize the expected distortion. Talk with your fabricators and see if I'm on the right path.

I opted to flatten a complete 360 degree section... twice. If the intent is to only flatten 1/3 (120 degree) sections, this should be managed in a similar way by dividing the initial helix at each 120 degree segment. Don't try to do this on the 360 degree flat quilt. Smaller segments may be more accurate. I don't know the tolerable level of inaccuracy for this type of feature, or how the helix will be formed.

I know you are using an older version of Pro/E so adding the model won't help you. I believe all the features I am using are available in older versions. Some of the features are completely different in their usage (like the intent edge reference) but it is there under a different feature type. Regardless, I hope the intent of my usage for these features are clear if you need to find a work-around.

Making the drawing is another matter. I suspect you will need to create a DXF for the fabricators. You can move the relevant features to layers to manage the views. You can use the flat planes to create view orientations. Again, this is probably easier as an assembly.

I made this as a part. It did have some trouble merging the barrel with the helix. Too many coincident edges I presume. I finally used a revolve surface; offset surface; and thicken just shy of intersecting. See the last 3 features in the image below.

Good luck and let us know if you need more specifics!

mixing_barrel.PNG

.Thankyou so much for the video.

Yes you are correct mine is an older version of Creo its Pro E 5.0 Creo .

I have yet to try the solution My question is after flattening the spiral as shown in the video dosen't creo 2d shows the inner and ouer diameter of the flattened pattern?

Is converting to DXF the only possible solution and lastly if I decide to model each plate separately and i would be happy to do that how do i go about it ?how do i maintain the pitch and make sure each section touches the inner body of the drum ?

FYI the tolerance is plus or minus 1 to 2 mm and The section will be created in 120degree or less not more than that

The problem I found with making the inner and outer edge at the same time is that the overall width is not maintained. Flatten Quilt was developed to provide a flat version of a distorted quilt and in doing so, it does make a lot of assumptions that distort complex geometry. That is why in this case, I chose to use the interface edge to use as a master.

The tolerance you are considering may be much to tights for Creo to accurately interpret the surface. Even the material thickness will change the interface between the barrel and the helix. There will be a lot of "craftsmanship" involved in putting all this together. In general, weldments like this are quite tolerant in both design and manufacturing tolerances. Your drum is near 4 meters long and 2 meters in diameter. Roundness of these panels will never meet 1-2mm. interference of the edges of your helix may need to be considered:

mixing_barrel_edge.PNG

Again, there is no true "radius" involved. It is some level of complex involute, not knowing a more precise term for this. I really don't know of a better approximation. Further investigation in using the Flatten Quilt feature may get you closer. I find the command very annoying when you try to use its higher level functionality.

You might consider a top-down design for this. You can reference things at an assembly level to create parts. This is all advanced techniques and sometimes it really gets frustrating when references get lost. If your design is stable, you could just copy the helix many times and work from that. You could work with family table to determine which segment you want to act on. The barrel can be associative to the helix through an assembly. There are just to many ways to do this to recommend any specific method. You have to look at what your end goal is for this and possibly future designs. A simple method could lead to sustainability issues... but if this is a one-off design, maybe a the quick method is right. This is not for me to say.

I am only suggesting DXF because that is what a lot of machine shops require to make patterns with using CNC. Somehow you need to get the flat pattern to the fabricators. This is more than just a simple drawing. You can provide a drawing, but I would highly recommend you reference a CAD model of some kind to give the shop something to go on. It is not unusual to do this. This is often controlled in a drawing by adding a note with regard to using a specific CAD file for programming.

Are you the lead engineer on this project? If not, I would suggest letting whoever is responsible know that this is a risk and should be validated prior to fabricating the actual unit. There is a lot of approximation going on in this method and some skills to consider from your fabricator, such as how to pull that helix from a flat plate. The welding process can make up for a lot of approximation but there are limits.

I fully appreciate how involved something seemingly simple can be. Do not underestimate the required effort to make this successful. There are a lot of functions that have a stake in this endeavor. ...and it begins with you

Top Tags