cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

How to keep components from shifting while using relations to control movement in an assembly?

jperez-7
1-Newbie

How to keep components from shifting while using relations to control movement in an assembly?

I've been using relation formulas to create motion in an assembly part I've been working with. I'll try to explain it to the best of my ability. I have a Tower that rises up to a desired dimension. I'm using that dimension to control the angle of 5 arms that need to actuate outwards and extend out as the tower rises.

I have the Tower components assembled as a Slider mechanism that I can drag up and down. I'm using a 3D dimension to get the tower height and use it with other formulas to activate the angle and the distance of the arms.

The arms is composed of 5 sections that are interlocked with each other. All five but one are set up as a slider mechanism, with the final one controlled by a datum plane using a relation formula along with the tower height to get my desired results. So far, all the formulas in my relations work. The only problem I keep having is that the components of the arms don't fully extend out or retract as they are supposed to. The model doesn't fail and no matter where I set the Tower Height at, all formulas work but, not all components slide out or back in.

Can you guys tell where I messed up or is this just a glitch?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

if you can please upload your data. It looks like your "design intent" is little bit complicated and it is difficult to guess what is going on...

If you cannot provide your data, you can create testing assembly and upload this one.

MH

Martin Hanák

Hi, MartinHanak

I've created a testing assembly to upload and have you take a look at it but, in a twist of irony, my testing assembly is working like it's supposed to! I'm still using the same amount of parts, and I'm using the same Relations that drive the features how I want them to. I'm begging to think it's something on how I'm assembling my parts together. I must be picking an incorrect assembly reference that ruins the action. Also, I'm new and I don't know how or where do I go to upload my zipfile with my testing assembly. Thanks for taking the time to reply and I'll upload my testing assembly once I figure out how.

Hi,

if (in the future) you want to upload data, use How to attach file when you Reply to a discussion. procedure.

Note: It does not make any sense to upload testing assembly if it works correctly.

MH

Martin Hanák
Top Tags