cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

How to model sliding pivot

EdwardAnderson
1-Newbie

How to model sliding pivot

Trying to model a joint. I have a kicking leg part, that has a slot cut down the middle. The slot engages a fixed post, so that the leg can both slide up and down on the post, and rotate about it. We have not been able to correctly constrain the model to be able to animate it to demonstrate that the design is sound. I'd appreciate any help in figuring out what kind of constraints to use, and how to use them.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Quick answer is: use the Insert constraint, BUT maybe you have some other problem. Are you just using the Drag packaged components icon, or are you using so-called Connections and a Mechanica type simulation? If the former, it may be that there are some assumed default planar alignments or the like, that you are not aware of, which are not allowing the simultaneous slide-and-rotate action you are looking for. Hard to know exactly what the problem is without more information.

Edward, Sound like it's mechanism connections what you're looking for. Can you attach a picture of the slot and the post?

I'm attaching a .zip that one of my CAD sub-team members created. He's been working on the problem, so I'm not sure what state it's in.

The pin connections are good. For the second connection on the bottom kick link create a slot connection. You will need to create a point on the fixed rod axis and a sketched line between the two slot centers for the bottom kick link.

"Kevin Demarco" wrote:

...create a point on the fixed rod axis and a sketched line between the two slot centers for the bottom kick link.

That worked like a charm. Thanks so much!
Top Tags