cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to pass dimension params between different ASM components?

Ron(RonaldD.)Wh
1-Newbie

How to pass dimension params between different ASM components?

Hello fellow ProE/CREO users! I may be having a senior moment, but I have looked through many tutorials and the PTC knowledgebase without finding anything about this particular subject. As a reference, I am using CREO v1.0 at present.

The primary 3D CAD goal is to create several "smarter, top-down" ASM models, each based upon different dimensions of a "standard trade sized" set of imported STEP model geometry files, and drive features in each of the relevant sub-component PRT and/or sub-ASM files, using a set of "global" named dimension parameters within the parent ASM files. Ideally, the sub-models would be able to (externally?) reference the TopLevel ASM's names and values.

The following lists the methods I've tried and their respective issues raised:

1. I used the PUBLISH/COPY GEOMETRY functions to externally reference selected parent datum/geometry features with some success; however, many regen failures, occurring mostly at the sub-model level, seem to come and go intermittently as well as I seem to have to a series of "copied datums/geometries" laid on top of one another which gets a little cumbersome to keep track of what is what.
  2. I attempted to create "skeleton models" containing only global and interface datums; but in this case, none of the named dimensioned datum variables were actually passed to the sub-component files only the datums themselves.
  3. After watching a MERGE/INHERITANCE tutorial video, I tried this function, but thought maybe the simplified topical video I found lacked the detail I needed to perform this task as I envisioned it.
  4. Additionally, combined with the above methods, I created ANALYSIS>DISTANCE or LENGTH features and named these features or defined model-level Parameters with Descriptions as the referenced names; however, these features, names, and parameters were not selectable to include in the skeleton parts, nor in the MERGE/INHERITANCE or COPY GEOMETRY feature functions. At least, it did not appear to be...

I may have forgotten other potential methods because I have not used them in a long time (since Wildfire v3.0 or so), but I thought there definitely MUST be a way to do this. Isn't Top-Down design modeling like programming in an object-oriented language [i.e., a hierarchy of modules where you declare certain arguments or variables as either globally or locally available for calculations inside a subroutine [ in this case, subroutine = sub-component]? Or do I actually need to develop a Pro/Program UDF or some kind of VBA-type app to perform this task?

Thanks in advance of any useful feedback you can provide!

Message was edited by: Ronald White

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags