cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to paste it into the flat pattern on the surface?

ShuniXiao
1-Newbie

How to paste it into the flat pattern on the surface?

Hello, everyone, how the flat pattern as shown in the paste on the surface of the tire?

Requirements: the size can not be changed,

So can not use the normal projection

Will you have any good suggestions?

I heard that the envelope can be achieved, but do not know exactly how to operate, please advise

thank you in advance

Best Regards

Shuni

20120506103344.jpg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Hi Shuni,

If i understand your question correctly, one method you could try is first make a flat feature of your tire, that is, you make a rectangle, then create a fill pattern of the feature you would like pattern on the tire. Lastly, you create a 360 toroidal bend using a cross section of the tire profile. Toroidal bend example.jpg

BR

Ric.

Hi Ric.

First of all, thanks to your explanation.

I also tried this method, very simple to operate, but do not know you find this question: bending will change the original size.

See Figure:

20120508004605.jpg

20120508004646.jpg

Wireframe on the size of the original size, on the entity's size is the size after bending between them is not changed it?

This is not permitted.

May I ask a more appropriate way?

Thanks again for your help.

Best Regards

Shuni

Hey Shuni,

I am bit unsure how to pattern this feature without the size changing. One other option you could try is to create the pattern on a separate flat surface, and then save this a picture / color to be rendered onto the surface of the tire.. hope this helps..

BR

Rick

thank you for you help

Hi Shuni...

With Toriodal Bend, you have to make sure the amount of material for your bent tire is exactly the same as the width of your FLAT pattern. otehrwise you can have distortion. I'd think though that with many of the techniques for creating the tire you're going to get some kind of distortion.

I don't know how you're going to cut a flat pattern and then wrap it into a tire shape without some type of deformation. There are some options in Toroidal Bends to minimize distortion. Or... you could try the flatten surface/bend solid method to create the tire tread.

Can you explain your application a bit more? Is this just for graphic purposes or do you need to model a real-world tire for analysis purposes? Sometimes understanding the application helps us lead you to the best technique for creating the geometry.

Thanks!

-Brian

Top Tags