cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to pull out part from sub asm in assembly

ptc-4510561
1-Newbie

How to pull out part from sub asm in assembly

Under main assembly ,I have subassembly which created with one part(default constraint used) like

Engine .asm (main assm)

piston.asm(sub asm)

piston ring .prt (part-under subasm piston.asm)

I want to pull out piston ring.prt from piston.asm (sub asm) & want to make it separate part direct under main asm (engine .asm ) becuse I dont want piston ring.prt place under piston.asm (sub asm).

Note:

In proe we have an option to make sub asm from individual ppart ( move to assembly option), I am looking vice versa

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ptc-4510561)

Haris,

Follow this thread:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/246290#246290

I think this is what you are asking about.

Thanks, Dale

Thanks for your reply.

But , that conversation not satisfied my question.

Will restructure option help me to pull out part from sub asm & individual become part under main asm?

Haris,

Restructure option as in thread given by Dale will help you. Using restructure you can select the components and define target assembly.

Hi

I am unable to define main assembly as my target .

Restructure helps to move part from one sub assembly to other sub assembly .

But I want to move part from one sub assembly to main assembly

Ex:

Engine.asm (main asm)

a) piston.asm (sub asm )

ring.prt

b) crank.asm(sub asm)

pin.prt

Want to move ring.prt to under engine.asm

It should be like

Engine.asm (main asm)

a) ring.prt

b) crank.asm(sub asm)

pin.prt

Haris,

Seems you are unable to restructure the component due to parent/child relationship. The component which you are using for restructure might be the parent for other components in assembly (assembled after that).

If this is true, there will be a warning "Attempts to append parent after child. Aborting restructure" in message area.

For example (referring image for carburetor.asm):

> Carburetor_plate.prt is in ASM0001.asm

> Other parts Bolt_5-60.prt and Air_filter_cover.prt are Children of carburetor_plate.prt

> When you will try to restructure Carburetor_plate.prt, it will report the warning, as restructure will try to move the part to bottom of model tree. As this part cannot place at the end of model tree due to child components, restructure will not complete the task and component will not move to top level.

Create another secnario for the same:

1. Create a new sub assembly at the end of this assembly.

2. Move Bolt_5-24 in that sub assembly. Now if if you will restructure, it will work without any warning or error.

Make sure that you are not modeling off of other items in the assembly, and make sure that you are not referencing any items in the assembly when placing the component into the assembly. This can be a problem if using top down modeling (placement into a skeleton model will not allow the component to be disassociated from the subassembly). If applicable, try simply deleting the part from the subassembly, then placing it into the full assembly in the exact same was as it was placed in the sub.

JJ
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:DaltonF.)

Mahesh, Can you please explain your solution in more detail? I am not clear on what you are recommending. Are you saying to put the new subassembly at the bottom of ASM001 or carburator.asm? When I go to pull the parts out of the new sub-assembly, won't I get the same parent/child problem? Please explain in more detail as I am having this similar problem. I have a boatload of parts under the parts I am trying to pull out of my subassembly. It is so easy to put parts into a subassembly, but it seems impossible to pull them out. I wish the "insert here" worked in this case so that instead of the parts trying to go to the very bottom of the carburator assembly, I could just do an "insert here" then drag and drop carburator_plate into carburator.asm and it would just work. As it is right now, it just ignores the insert here and still tries to put it at the bottom of the assembly and then gives me the error. Argh!

DaltonF. The problem with what you are proposing is that I will have to re-associate the bazillion of lower-level parts after deleting and re-inserting. The idea behind parametric modeling is supposed to be to avoid this kind of re-work. Pro/E should be smart enough to just move carburator_plate.prt to it's same curren position just by dragging and dropping it inside the carburator.asm and leaving ASM0001.ASM empty. Everything is in place to make this happen, but for whatever reason PTC decided to make an error message instead of a solution. So thanks for your suggestion, but this would take about 4 hours of re-assembling all the lower level components.

Pls refer imageUntitled.png

Quite honestly, I would see if the carburetor has dependencies... I just move it down until it is at the end. You know which object has a dependency because you cannot move the assembly below it. Resolve the dependency and continue to move the assembly down.

Then add a new carburetor and delete the assembly. I find the re-route routing a painful one when it comes to guessing what it really wants.

JJ
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:TomD.inPDX)

That's the problem. It has a bazillion dependencies. I was trying to avoid all the rerouting and re-defining. It seems like it would be easy for PTC to just make the "insert here" functionality work when trying to pull a sub-assembled part into it's parent assembly. It just doesn't make sense why it HAS to try to put it at the very end of the parent assembly when re-structuring.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:JJ)

You don't have to move it to the end... I just prefer this method so I can remove dependencies one by one without quessing what the restructure dialog is asking for.

You can also look in all the components below the assembly and replace their dependencies by reviewing all the constraints.

You could just delete the assembly and see what blows up

Are you able to arrive a solution. Is this thread closed?

--

Dhinesh

Top Tags