cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How to save a particular Assembly configuration view and put it on a drawing?

dtapia
1-Newbie

How to save a particular Assembly configuration view and put it on a drawing?

I am creating a CAD file assembly that could be described as a binder or a book. The assembly components are connected via a pin constraint and the angle of rotation has been contrained to 180 degrees.
In my drawing, I would like to have a cover sheet showing the assembly with the "book" open and with the "book" closed next to each other.
How can I accomplish this?

Thanks,

-David T.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
JamesBurcham
4-Participant
(To:dtapia)

You could use "simplified reps" in the assembly.

I'm going to take back what I said below. There is nothing like doing it to know what -not- to do

I find it absolutely impossible to drive mechanism assembly relations with family tables (pin). You cannot get to, for instance, the angle dimension in a pin constraint to populate the family table that I can see easily. However, if I use a conventional constraint system, like planer/axial coincident and then an angle between planes, I can pick up that dimension in a family table by simply clicking on it. I don't know what PTC is thinking here and I'm sure there is a way to drive this... probably with relations... which create other limitations in flexible components.

So for your question, I created family table instances in the assembly model. I constrained the movable side of the "book" with a plane for translation, the axis for the hinge, and an angle for the page. I created two family table instances in order to vary the "angle" dimension of the angle constraint. One at 170 and another at 5. I now create the drawing with a model which uses the instance with the 5 degrees setting, and I also Add the model as an instance of the 170 degrees setting. Now the drawing has 2 models which are simply instances of the "original".

You make one of the models active in the model tree. You then place the view. It will be of the orientation you choose for that instance. Next I activate the other instance. I again place a view a drawing and now the book is the alternate instance. I can then manipulate each view independently and I can even give them an alignment with view properties.

Flexible models will not help in this instance. This would only be helpful if you have 2 levels of assembly for which there is no need from what I see in the original post.

What version of Creo/WF/Pro-E are you using... and is it an academic version? I can provide an example if you have the full version of Creo 2.0.

There are a number of ways but I recommend assembling the "book" twice and making the second a flexible component where you change the 180 degree angle to another angle. Only the flexible part will change.

I will warn you, however, that accessing that parameter and making it flexible may not be as simple as it might appear at 1st glance. It is not quite as simple as changing a feature's dimension value, although it should be.

If this isn't working for you, you can also look at family tables. In that case, you might have a similar problem accessing the value, and then you might try a more conventional angle constraint rather than the pin. Again, your drawing would have multiple instances of the part; one open, one closed.

I'll have to try it to see exactly how it is done. I just remember that assembly constraint dimensions are harder to get at than feature dimensions.

Let me know if you are not having any luck with either and I can see what we can do.

I have the full version of Creo 1.0

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:dtapia)

I have been trying to make this work reliably with the pin "connection' and I'm having all kinds of issues including crashes. There really has to be an easier way.

The user defined connection works very straight forward with family tables. It is unfortunate that you cannot use my files.

I'll see if I can capture the process in a quick video.

Okay David: this should be all inclusive and comprehensive (...he says confidently!)

Please feel free to ask additional questions.

...And I would like to see something similar using the pin connection from anyone with this knowledge.

Top Tags