cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How to use get uniform pitch in warp/twist

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

How to use get uniform pitch in warp/twist

I have been trying to model a twisted bar with uniform pitch, using warp/twist command. However, no matter what i do, the resulted geometry is always non uniform, as shown below. Any idea how to get an uniform twist? I know this is possible in relational sweep, but i just want to know if  this is possible in warp command. Thanks in advance for the tips.

twist.JPG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
14 REPLIES 14
John.Pryal
12-Amethyst
(To:BHOoi)

I think the key to this is your marquee set up. Try using an 'offset' marquee, experiment with the offset values. I am sure if you think about it, that the offset values could be precisely calculated depending upon the height of your initial extrude & the pitch required.

Hope this helps you on your way.

John

offet-marquee.PNG

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:John.Pryal)

Thanks, John. Those settings(offset, absolute ...)are basically meant for start and end of warp  feature, not for pitch....

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Yes I know this, but by manipulating these offsets you can achieve a more uniform pitch. This might give you what you want depending upon your requirements, it might not.

John

twist.PNG

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:John.Pryal)

yes... pretty close. What i also wanted was the section orientation at the start and end points coincide so that when I form a ring using toroidal bend the ends match perfectly. Possible?

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Actually, it IS uniform....there's just a lead-in and lead-out variation in pitch to make it tangent to the long axis....by design.  If you actually heat up and twist a piece of square bar stock, this is what you'll get.  If you need something else you'll have to construct it via another method.  VSS (Variable Section Sweep) etc.......

I think the warp commands are pretty cool and certainly very powerful....if lacking in the ability to constrain them as we'd like.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:Patriot_1776)

hello, Frank. I think you are right, but do you know how do i get rid of those extruded portions ? or.... if i want to trim those away, what is length i should cut?  What I really want is only the helical shape, from start till end so that i can form a ring using Toroidal bend as shown below:

ring.JPG

For this simple rectangle section, i could have used VSS instead of warp/twist. However, i am looking at very irregular shapes (such as chain of rings) that are not possible to be created using VSS. I want to explore if I can use warp to facilitate the end creation.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Warp does a very poor job on joining the ends of a 360 degree bend even if you tweak the marquee.

Never underestimate the power of VSS.  You can drive multiple variations including a weave in a weave.  You can drive it with graphs; algebraic functions, or straight math.  It may be a lot of work, but it can be done.

This is a fully 3D cross using various VSS sweeps...

Celtic_Cross.JPG

Spinal bend is a little easier to work with.

Here is the part in the other discussion... trimmed using the known pitch to get a perfect mate on the ends.

Unfortunately, Creo doesn't allow you merge the ends so the seam disappears, no matter what you do!

flyer_stick_bent.PNG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Nice cross!  You should cast some in a precious metal!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

A VSS using trajpar would be perfect for that circle.  You wouldn't need to do a spinal bend on it.

D'uh!  Very true, Frank.

Funny... even in Creo 3, I can twist it 4 times in one feature, but not 3-1/2.  No Mobius here!

flyer_stick_bent_II.PNG

Creo 3.0 attached

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

Mobius, that's who! 

MOBIUS_STRIP-03.jpg

There's a Pro/WORKAROUND to get the 1/2 twists.....

Okay, give it up and I'll test it in Creo 3.

It worked fine using the spinal bend but not in a VSS going 360 in a single feature.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Yeah, there seems to be a couple limitations in VSS's, one being that you can't do more than 360deg.....supposedly..... 

I'll try and e-mail you the file later today and we can discuss! 

Top Tags