cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Inheritance: can't drive varied item by relation

akelly
11-Garnet

Inheritance: can't drive varied item by relation

CP4.  I have a part that I need to do some de-featuring on for FEA.  I also want to use different dimensions than the source model.  I don't want to save-a-copy of the original model or modify it in any way because it want it linked to the original.  In the past, I've done this with a new part that inherits the geometry the original part.  I use varied items in the inheritance feature to de-feature (suppress) what I don't need for FEA and to change dimensions.

Having trouble this time.  See attached screen shot.

In the child part, there is a feature with a dimension "T".  It has a family table and "T" has different tolerances for different instances.  The designer set up limit-type dimensions using parameters "T_MIN" and "T_MAX" .  There is a part relation T=(T_MIN+T_MAX)/2 to get the "T" geometry to the mean value.  The family table includes "T_MIN", "T_MAX" parameters and "T" dimension.  Instances have the correct geometry.

The parent part uses an inheritance feature of the generic of the child part.  "DS_T" parameter is drive-able by external software.  I'm trying to use it to change the "T" dimension in the child part.  Varied items won't let me add "T" because it is relation-driven.  I made "T_MIN" and "T_MAX" parameters varied items. Trying to drive them with a relation gives "Cannot assign to a part-driven value.".

I've used this technique before to drive a part dimension in a child from the parent.  What's different this time is I'm trying to drive a child parameter value from the parent.

What else can I do??

1 REPLY 1
akelly
11-Garnet
(To:akelly)

See attached working counter-example.  The child part was modified by removing the relation, so "T" is a driving dimension.  After updating the parent part's varied items and relations, "DS_T" value DOES change different values of "T".

This doesn't meet the goal, because of how the child was set up to have different tolerances of "T" by instance.

Top Tags