cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Is it possible to select a specific container in Windchill when importing an emp file in CREO?

Paul_Brown
6-Contributor

Is it possible to select a specific container in Windchill when importing an emp file in CREO?

Hi,

Currently when we import an emn & emp file in creo while connnected to windchill, if the component model exists in the windchill database, the import function will place the real model rather than the place bound volume.

The issue is that there may be some component cad models that are wrong within the windchill database (the origin is badly oriented, or the dimensions are wrong), and i would not like to import them, and import the place bound volume instead.
Is it possible in any way to tell creo or windchill  to only search for components in a specific container within windchill?  (for instance the "OFFICIAL_LIBRARY" container)

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Paul_Brown,

Welcome to the PTC Community!

Thank you for your question. 

I’d like to recommend to bring more details and context to your initial inquiry. 

It also helps to have screenshot(s) to better understand what you are trying to do in your process. 

This will increase your chances to receive meaningful help from other Community members. 

Regards,

Anurag 

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Paul_Brown)

I don't know the Windchill part of it, at least not the inner workings. I do know that when I import larger files (usually step files for me), I have a lot better and faster import if I go offline on Windchill or just open unconnected Creo session. For me it's mostly about speed of import.

Not sure at all if this is helpful for your situation though.

Paul_Brown
6-Contributor

We require to use accurate data when importing emn (idf 3.0) files during ECAD-MCAD collaboration.

Basically, when you import a board, you have generic "place bound rectangles"

Paul_Brown_0-1695986485611.png

However if ever you run the import while connected to windchill, the "place bound rectangles" will be replaced by 3d cad models if the model exists within the database (and if there is a perfect match between the file name and the name found in the .emn file).

Paul_Brown_2-1695986983557.png

Since many users collaborate on windchill, there may be some "temporary" models created in some containers, and the risk is that the model is inaccurate, because the user did not respect modelling guidelines. We can end up with results like this : (mis-oriented origin for the connector) 

Paul_Brown_1-1695986977085.png

Or even worse, 0.1mm offsets that are inperceptible but can have drastic consequences during manufacturing.

We do have an official Library container within Windchill, lets call it "LIBRARY", within this "LIBRARY" the models are 100% accurate because they follow modelling guidelines and have been checked by a librarian.

My question is the following

-> is there any way we can tell creo or windchill to only look into the "LIBRARY" container, and ignore files found in any other container (project container or TEMP_LIBRARY for instance)
My feeling is that Creo/Windchill will look in every single container to find models that match the numbers found in the emn file, If there is a way to restrict this, that would be great.
Anything from a creo/windchill configuration to a toolkit API would be of help for this topic.

I hope my clarification helps

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Since every number in Windchill must be unique it creates a challenge when importing an assembly that has numbers of parts that have already been imported/created in Windchill. Understanding how Creo loads files from Windchill will help. Creo will load In Session files first, then from the Workspace and finally commonspace. If you're working directory is a disk location, Creo will look there last. The key is to get your board and components into your workspace before opening the assembly in Creo. The conflict is if you already have that component number in Windchill, it will get flagged and pull the one from commonspace.

Sounds like your company needs to learn more about Windchill and improve your modeling practices and limit use of disconnected Creo modelling.

Paul_Brown
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

We've been usiing Winddchill for quite a while now and are well aware of the mechanics. 

We have had some modelling practices updates a few years ago and there are still a few "legacy" components that exist that we cannot update because we do not want to spoil the assemblies they are a part of and that are in production.

My question is, is there a known mechanic to selectively import models from a certain container in windchill? or should we go full windchill customization to make this work?

Top Tags