cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Is there an easy way to change these parts?

cgross-2
1-Newbie

Is there an easy way to change these parts?

I am a relatively new to Creo (>3 months experience), so I am turning to the forums for some help.

A little background of my situation:

I have multiple similar parts (we will call part A1, part A2, part A3) that I am measuring interference with one other part (part B). These similar parts are checked at a start angle 0 degrees and an end angle 30 degrees [currently I am using Angle Offset]. Their interference or clearance is then documented. Additionally, I am doing this for multiple simple reps. This means part A will stay the same, but part B will be changing.

What I want to do:

I want to have an easy way to adjust these angles on the fly. Can I make a mapkey that will change the angle offset between 0 and 30 for part A? Would it be better to create a family table where part A is set up to use 1 datum for 0 degrees and another for 30 degrees?

Bonus help:

Is there a way to write a script to save and export my interference analysis on these parts?

Any clarification can be provided.

Thanks,

Clay

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:cgross-2)

Hello Clay,

Usually when you need to repeat some steps with little or no variation, an alternative to mapkeys are trail files:

You can open a session and do whatever action you want to have repeated.

Then copy the current session log file trail.txt.<version number> under a new name (anything that applies to Creo Parametric naming convention and is not "trail") with the extension *.txt.

When you launch a new session, you can run the trail file recording with Play Trail File and have all steps repeated.

But keep in mind it does repeat everything exactly the same way. To add variations you would have to edit it, which is not too easy as the syntax is sometimes cryptic.

But if you modify for example the angle, entering a new value, it should be easy to find the recording of your input in a text editor and change it as needed.

Still for your case with three different parts and two different angles, it probably is not worth trying, but if you need to repeat the tests later (e.g. after applying changes to part B), you should be able to simply rerun the trail file(s).

Regards,

Gunter

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yes mapkey is always an good option. Global interference can be captured as an feature in your model tree.

gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:cgross-2)

Hello Clay,

Usually when you need to repeat some steps with little or no variation, an alternative to mapkeys are trail files:

You can open a session and do whatever action you want to have repeated.

Then copy the current session log file trail.txt.<version number> under a new name (anything that applies to Creo Parametric naming convention and is not "trail") with the extension *.txt.

When you launch a new session, you can run the trail file recording with Play Trail File and have all steps repeated.

But keep in mind it does repeat everything exactly the same way. To add variations you would have to edit it, which is not too easy as the syntax is sometimes cryptic.

But if you modify for example the angle, entering a new value, it should be easy to find the recording of your input in a text editor and change it as needed.

Still for your case with three different parts and two different angles, it probably is not worth trying, but if you need to repeat the tests later (e.g. after applying changes to part B), you should be able to simply rerun the trail file(s).

Regards,

Gunter

Gunter,

The Trail File is an interesting command that may be useful in the future. Unfortunately (like you said), I don't think it would be acceptable for my application. I appreciate the feedback!

Top Tags