cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Is there any way to pass the data from the structure tree to a excel file?

Ed13
7-Bedrock

Is there any way to pass the data from the structure tree to a excel file?

I mean,

I want to export the data from the structure tree (part and assembly names) to a excel file. For example to make a bill of materials.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:Ed13)

Use the command "Write Tree" save the structure tree to a text file which can then be opened in Excel.

One tip is to have "Details" mode on so more information is included in the file than just the 'instance" name.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

...never mind.  I always miss the posts that applie to Creo Direct 

Ed13
7-Bedrock
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Thank you for you too Antonius...

Don´t worry, may be some day you will be the champion of ptc community...

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

Use the command "Write Tree" save the structure tree to a text file which can then be opened in Excel.

One tip is to have "Details" mode on so more information is included in the file than just the 'instance" name.

Ed13
7-Bedrock
(To:PeterKehoe)

Hello,

I did it and then I changed the file extension to a ".xls" ( Excel file). Excel opened this file without any problem.

Thank you!!!

tivancso
14-Alexandrite

Hello,

After you save the file out from the "Write Tree" option, start Excel and then open the file and follow the prompts to import the textual data into the worksheet. Do not change the file extension and try to open it.

Mike: The Model Manager option will only work if they have the BOM module turned on in Model Manager and I believe the BOM licenses also has to be present to make this work. But great idea none the less.

Regards,

Thom

Peter,

What's the trick?

I get the same result, whether I have "Details mode" on or off.

Mike

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:mmaenpaa)

Sorry, my mistake. There is no difference with Details mode on. I have Model Manager, and with that activated I can get a different "view" which gives me more information than just the instance name. I believe that it is possible to customize the Structure Browser to provide additional "views" which have more information, and if you do that then the additional information can go into the file using the "Write Tree" command.

Peter Kehoe wrote:

Sorry, my mistake. There is no difference with Details mode on. I have Model Manager, and with that activated I can get a different "view" which gives me more information than just the instance name. I believe that it is possible to customize the Structure Browser to provide additional "views" which have more information, and if you do that then the additional information can go into the file using the "Write Tree" command.

Ok, that's good to know about "views". I will have to check that out.

Another way in Model Manager, without BOM module, is to just highlight rows, columns, or individual cells and copy to the clipboard and pastel to Excel, Notepad, etc.

Mike

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

If you have Model Manager, my favorite method of getting a BOM is get it from the Load window. If you go to load an assembly, the load window comes up. Then you can right-click in there to bring up the "Send to->MS Excel" command which then sends everything in the load window to Excel. You can choose which assemblies are expanded and which ones aren't. And you can choose which columns (fields) are included as well before you send to Excel, so your BOM can include any information in Model Manager (that is associated with the models).

mmaenpaa
10-Marble

In Model Manager, right click your assembly and select BOM>Scan. This allows you define the depth of the tree to scan.

Then in the BOM Editor you can send to MS Excel.

Mike

BOM.png

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

The question was how to get the data from the Structure Browser, not Model Manager. Your method is fine if you use Model Manager and have a license for the BOM module.

Sorry, I guess I'll consider myself lucky for having the BOM module.

I only mentioned it because your method of turning on "Details" did not work in my test. The TXT file was the same in either case.

Thank you.

Peter Kehoe wrote:

The question was how to get the data from the Structure Browser, not Model Manager. Your method is fine if you use Model Manager and have a license for the BOM module.

Top Tags