cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Is there some way to de-assemble a pattern into discrete components?

CAD_Monkey
7-Bedrock

Is there some way to de-assemble a pattern into discrete components?

Hello

If I have an assembly pattern with a bunch of parts, and would like to remove the pattern but still have all the parts left in their places, can I do that somehow?

The reason I'm asking is that now that pattern is populated by the same part, but I want to make it into a family table part with features that vary depending on location. If I do a Replace on some part they all change.

I do understand that I can convert the pattern into a Table pattern and swap the instances there, but that does not save much work in this case, so I would prefer to just "de-pattern" the pattern into single parts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@CAD_Monkey wrote:

Hello

If I have an assembly pattern with a bunch of parts, and would like to remove the pattern but still have all the parts left in their places, can I do that somehow?

The reason I'm asking is that now that pattern is populated by the same part, but I want to make it into a family table part with features that vary depending on location. If I do a Replace on some part they all change.

I do understand that I can convert the pattern into a Table pattern and swap the instances there, but that does not save much work in this case, so I would prefer to just "de-pattern" the pattern into single parts.

Hi,

there is Unpattern command. Unfortunately it works for patterned group, only.

Please read https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs34136 article.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@CAD_Monkey wrote:

Hello

Hi,

there is Unpattern command. Unfortunately it works for patterned group, only.

Please read https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs34136 article.

Martin Hanák

Aha! I knew I had seen it somewhere.

Too bad about the group/table thing limitation.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, I think the only way to do this is to use the "repeat" functionality.

(1) Delete the pattern you have now.

(2) Select the remaining component that was used to create the pattern.

(3) right mouse button and pick "Repeat" from the menu.

(4) Place all the copies of the component that you need.

(5) Pick the components you want to replace with family instances and do so.

Hopefully you're not dealing with hundreds of members in the current assembly. I've had to do something like this with very many screws in the past and it gets ,mind-numbing.

Aye, this has been my method so far. Thanks!

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:CAD_Monkey)

One option to get around the Group limitation is to:

• add a datum onto the feature or part
  • group them
  • delete the datum from the group
  • pattern the group
  • unpattern
  • remove the groups

There is always more to learn in Creo.

If the purpose was to add in a large number of parts that are assembled discretely, this is a reasonable method to use Pattern to make it quicker.

My situation however is rather that I already have a bunch of parts patterned, where I want to replace some of them with other instances from their Family Table. So it seems I need to delete the pattern and then reassemble all the parts individually (Repeat) and then I have the freedom to swap instances any way I wish.

Thanks though!

Top Tags