cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Layer Rules for Threads and more - Summary

kkrahmer
2-Guest

Layer Rules for Threads and more - Summary

Perhaps that is different in our WF3. Creating a standard hole with a thread only puts the Thread (as a feature) on the Layer not the Hole feature. The same is true for a cosmetic thread. Only the Thread (as a feature) is put to the layer. We use blank and isolate to display layers. Perhaps that is a difference too.

[X]
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Sorry, while trying to insert at the head of the message, I missed and clicked send :).

The short answer is WF3 cannot do what we need. We will have to add the thread surface manually until we upgrade to WF5 (it is in WF4, but we are going directly to WF5).

I also received links to good layer tutorials and discussions:

[X]
I wonder why you have been given this new standard. Sounds like the promulgator does not understand how layers work in ProE. I guess if you end up with a simple set of common layers then everyone can hide or show them but if you have lots of unique layers then it becomes hunt the layer.

As shown to me by Glenn Beer the Isolate command is a powerful way to control what you see without proscribing what goes on what layer and not restricting items to only one layer. The caveat is that you only want to collect features not entities of those features otherwise you get very odd but explainable results).
Unfortunately Isolate is not available on RMB but is still in the menu (View/Visibility/Isolate) and you can put an icon for it in your toolbar.

So it is only left for me to say is good luck.
FROM PTC:
This email is regarding your call 7386186 with the following description:
Customer requires assistance with creating layers by rule to place threads on the layer.

I heard back from development and it looks like there isn't a way to get just the threads to be placed on the layer in Wildfire 3.0. But as of Wildfire 4.0, the "Look By: Feature" option has been added to the "Look For: Quilt" area. This allows just the threads to be placed on the layer. You can use:

Look for: Quilt
Look by: Feature
In the Attributes tab select:
Rule - Type
Criteria
Category - All
Value - Cosmetic
AND
Category - Miscellaneous
Value - Has Thread

Did you tick the Associative option?

Yes

Perhaps that is different in our WF3. Creating a standard hole with a thread only puts the Thread (as a feature) on the Layer not the Hole feature. The same is true for a cosmetic thread. Only the Thread (as a feature) is put to the layer. We use blank and isolate to display layers. Perhaps that is a difference too.

[X]

But we don't want the axis of the hole to be on the Threads layer. That is where we are having our problems.

Karl

Karl,
As Glenn pointed out below, you must be aware of the differences between entities and features. In your example you are collecting entities (surfaces) and features (THREADS).
Try to update your rule to
Look for: Feature
Look by: Feature
mjenkins
5-Regular Member
(To:kkrahmer)

I like to do this for parts in WF3 which have a lot of funky layers:"Nuclear Layer Propagation!"

Open your assembly. Hit Tools:Options. Open nlp.pro (included). Type nlp.Then you can just show the threads in the drawing if you want by Show/Erase.

In Reply to Karl Krahmer:

[X]
Top Tags