cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

List (and discussion) of features removed when going from ProE (WF1-WF4) to Creo(2)

LawrenceS
18-Opal

List (and discussion) of features removed when going from ProE (WF1-WF4) to Creo(2)

When preparing to go from ProE WF4 to Creo 3 a PTC rep said that there were hundreds (I think he said over 400) enhancements going from WF4 to Creo 2 'while no features have been removed' (paraphrased).  For those who are using Creo2, we all know that is simply not true.

Purpose of this Document is to provide a one-stop-place to get the following

1. Make information available to others so they can account for specific losses in functionality
  2. Give sanity to people who have been looking in vain for features that have been removed,
  3. Perhaps people know workarounds, or simply new ways to do the same thing that they can share.
  4. Increase awareness with PTC that they will bring back features that perhaps were overlooked during the upgrade.

Anyone has permission to modify this document.  Please Add/modify/or cross out anything below this line and discuss everything else below the thread:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Functionality Removed:

1. Tabs for open objects
    1. Tabs for open objects in Creo (like was in ProE)
    2. Use Tabs for open models/drawings in Creo (like in ProE, IE, Firefox, Chrome, FoxIt pdf viewer, etc)?
    3. Reported to PTC via Ideas and Call (before 2014)
  2. Show Erase Model Annotations
    • You can show only model annotations that have been DELETED
      • "Delete" deletes any/all reference to dwg:
        • Dwg dimensions/notes are permanently deleted
        • Model dims/notes lose any reference to the dwg (like locations, leaders, jogs/breaks, etc)
      • "Erase" Only hides from view, just like in WF, however now only viewable through the dwg tree, and hidden from the show model annotations dialog.
    • You cannot show model dimensions that have been ERASED.
    • The erased dimensions get buried in the dwg tree forcing the user to go through the model tree to verify (one-by-one) all necessary dims are shown rather than just use the show/erase dialog as it was in ProE WF.  This adds much confusion by spreading out information while also adding many extra steps (how many extra steps depends on the number of dimensions/notes/datums on a drawing).
    • Add a Search for Drawing Dimensions
    • Reported to PTC via Call, 2014
  3. Simultaneously Adjust the length of Multiple Leader lines for Multiple Dimensions on a single view
    • Reported to PTC via Call in 2014
    • Now works as of Creo2 M130!  Yeaa!  Thank you PTC!
  4. Automatic selection filter using the Find dialog (especially while assembling components)
    • When Assembling components in ProE, the user could select an axis (or plane, etc), open the find window and ProE would automatically be on Axis.  Now Creo remembers the last choice regardless if you already selected axis and it is looking for an axis.  The same worked for Planes, points, etc
    • This was an incredibly fast, accurate, and intelligent way to assemble components, especially when the company uses standard datum features and orientations.
    • Now it only works the first time you do it and then it prioritizes the last choice above what Creo is looking for in the feature/component definition, thus requiring the user to click several times to change it to what ProE used to automatically (which mitigates a lot of the speed and reduced clicks of assembling using this method).
  5. Default constraining Assembly components to coincident (without changing behavior of default setting for constraining planes/surfaces):
    • By defaultIn WF4 when I chose 2 axis, they aligned overlapping (coincident) and Planes/surfaces would have an offset distance
    • Creo2 added additional constraining options for axes (offset, perpendicular, etc), which is good in itself however user/company should still be able to set the default option for axes different than datums/planes.  The vast majority of uses for axis will be (for most companies), coincident.
    • This is a confusing and big slow down for new users and infrequent users as it is counterintuitive.  For frequent users it is smaller slow down for each time used but bigger slow down for all accumiliative users and a bigger annoyance.
    • The default setting to contstrain axes should be controlled differently than the default setting for planes/surfaces.
  6. Secondary preview geometry in "Black on White" color scheme corrected in Creo 1.0
    • From PTC: "The developers seem to think the behavior of the black on white color scheme in Wildfire is incorrect. They think the Behavior in Creo 1.0 is correct, but not ideal since features are unrecognizable. I will continue to keep you updated." - sent in 2012. Nothing has changed.
  7. ...

---------

Although available through customizing the ribbon or using the new command search, the following features have been removed from the default UI, giving concern to some that PTC is contemplating removing the features altogether.  PTC, the following features are still used and appreciated:

1. The Pipe Feature (used to be #Insert #Advanced #Pipe in WF5)
  2. Open Systems Window (I use this to run a purge on my working dir)

Functionality that PTC has fixed and is now available:

1. Returned as of Creo2 M130): Simultaneously Adjust the length of Multiple Leader lines for Multiple Dimensions on a single view
    • In WF if you select a view and then hold down ctrl and select dimensions and leader lines you could simultaneously align all of them to the same location.
    • This facilitated a fast and clean way to align leader length ending point locations (E.g. As for a view boundary).
    • Now there seems to be no way to align more than one leader end at any given time.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
10 REPLIES 10

I did not yet get all of the 'dehancements' listed here but hope to return to put more in.

Remember just click on edit document to add more 'dehancements' that you have found.

Rather than delete ideas if they are possible, simply changing the text style to strikethrough with an explanation is probably a better option so people can see the workaround.

CS129458      https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS129458

confirms that the Pipe feature command has been hidden, so if you want to use it in Creo 2 & 3, then you may want to set the config.pro option :

enable_obsoleted_features yes

Any idea why PTC is obsoleting this feature?

I guess it might be because they intend to replace it with 'curve through points', but I'm not sure...

Interesting.  I use curve through points a lot, but it really is not a new tool and has been around for a long time.

Referring to https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS39340

Menu option "Show > Use Model in Tree" in drawing mode is back in Creo 2.0 M150 and 3.0 M030

I have been wondering about that one but had not locked it down if it was completely removed, or just lost in a particular tab or RMB menu. 

Thanks for the comment and update.  I look forward to having it back, as I used it more frequently in WF and have had to do other works around since then!

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:LawrenceS)

Pause and Resume was removed from the show dimensions

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS207966&source=Case%20Viewer

Starting with Creo you can no longer customize the File Menu

Jose_Costa
6-Contributor
(To:LawrenceS)

1 - Dragging a Step or Iges into active part used to have the option to append, now it does not.

2 - Renaming a component on assembly or drawing mode is possible on Creo 2, but not in Creo 3.

3 - On assembly mode, you could select one component and regenerate it instead of regenerating all assembly. This was usefull for big assemblies. In Creo 3 that option has gone.

4 - Fast detailing has died with Creo 2. In Creo 3 it takes more time to out dimensions.

1-3 are big losses in Creo 3.  I generally like Creo 3, and there are workarounds, but I miss these.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags