cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Location of Excel files and hole sketches used in a part for pattern and hole definition

Siege_engineer
6-Contributor

Location of Excel files and hole sketches used in a part for pattern and hole definition

Hello all,

I am using Excel for pattern definiton, this can be achived with the config option "part_table_editor excel", which is amazing. This is really handy, because I receive information about connector locations via the Excel format. I can specify angles and other dimensions.

For hole definition I plan to use the save sketch function. This way I can make sure that all the holes used for particular purpose are the same. Single source definition you could call it. This way I deny the possibilites of mistakes that one hole is a bit different then the other.

We use PTC Creo parametric 4.0 and Windchill. Now I was wondering, where are the Excel files and sketch files stored? Are they stored with the part? Meaning that if I release the part in windchill, the excel file and sketch file are also locked?

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:MartinHanak)

The Excel file is not stored.

The Excel file is merely a translator. You can use it to edit the file but after you are done it refers to the original Creo format. For instance if you have any equations in Excel when you open it a second time the equations will be gone. This is because its not actually saving the native Excel file.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Siege_engineer wrote:

Hello all,

I am using Excel for pattern definiton, this can be achived with the config option "part_table_editor excel", which is amazing. This is really handy, because I receive information about connector locations via the Excel format. I can specify angles and other dimensions.

For hole definition I plan to use the save sketch function. This way I can make sure that all the holes used for particular purpose are the same. Single source definition you could call it. This way I deny the possibilites of mistakes that one hole is a bit different then the other.

We use PTC Creo parametric 4.0 and Windchill. Now I was wondering, where are the Excel files and sketch files stored? Are they stored with the part? Meaning that if I release the part in windchill, the excel file and sketch file are also locked?

Kind regards

Hi,

YES, information related to part geometry is included in .prt file.

Martin Hanák
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:MartinHanak)

The Excel file is not stored.

The Excel file is merely a translator. You can use it to edit the file but after you are done it refers to the original Creo format. For instance if you have any equations in Excel when you open it a second time the equations will be gone. This is because its not actually saving the native Excel file.

Top Tags