cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Long Drawing Regen Times

NEALROSENBLUM
1-Newbie

Long Drawing Regen Times

Hey Everybody,

I am creating some patent illustrations for a customer, so I have to show many assemblies in many different states (e.g. open, closed, locked, unlocked, etc.). I have several family tables with several instances per family table. I have added nearly all of these drawing models to the drawing. The drawing now has 28 sheets.

The drawing opensin about 15 seconds, but when I click on SOME of the tabs at the bottom of the display window to see various sheets, Pro|E seems to just sit there for about120 seconds while it regenerates the drawing views for that particular sheet. If I click on the next tab, I have to wait another120 seconds, and so on and so forth. All of the family tables have been verified. I have figured out thatcertain sheets take longer to regenerate, so I have somewhat isolated the long regen times to one of the larger assemblies (approx 50-60 components).

And finally, when I try to create a PDF of the drawing, Pro|E seems to take about120 seconds per sheet for many of the sheets, so I just sit there and wait. The PDF creation eventually finishes and the PDF looks just fine.

Many of the sub-assemblies are mechanisms so that I can move parts back and forth to show the customer. In other words, I am using pinned connections, slot connections, etc. I use theROTATION AXISanglesof a pinned connectionof the mechanism in my family tables. I think that there may be a conflict with something in that area, and I have made sure that the ENABLE REGEN VALUE is UNCHECKED.

Any suggestions? TIA.

Wildfire 5.0, M060, Dell PrecisionM6600

Sincerely,
Neal Rosenblum
Geometrix Engineering, Inc.
201 N. 13th Avenue
Hollywood, FL 33019
Ph: 954-920-2049
Fax: 954-920-9574
Cell: 954-649-9399
-

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Large assy drawings are painful. We use simplified reps to help but I don't think anything really speed ups the drawing mode. I would say to just make sure you aren't out of RAM.

From the printing standpoint, the way I make it quicker is to not use the built in pro/e save-as PDF. I use a PDF printer (can be downloaded for free - cutepdf or pdf995 or many others). I change the quality under the model tab of the printer configuration box to 0(no line check). This significantly improves pdf creation on large drawings. I also create all my sheets at once using the print option. I would say this will change a 3+ minute print wait time to a 15-30 second print time wait.

[cid:image001.png@01CF4A54.4A75DBE0]

FYI, this setting has no bearing on the quality of the output to PDF. I believe its purpose is limited to the output of plotter files to eliminate overlapping lines and also to group pen #'s so the plotter doesn't have to change pens as much.

Neal,
In the drawing, you may want to add the following parameter: The default is YES, therefore you want to set it to NO.

AUTO_REGEN_VIEWS NO

Keep in mind any changes you made the views will not update. You will need to MANUALLY do a REPAINT or VIEW -> UPDATE

This should help with changing sheets. I.e. You can pick and choose what sheets/views you want to update only.

In my experience, helical features just kill the regen time for hidden-line removal. If I have an assembly with compression springs, or imported fasteners that show actual threads instead of cosmetics, my repaints go way up in time. That's why I'll use simplified reps to blank out fastener & springs or replace them with simplified versions.

Top Tags