cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Making a dimpled surface

ptc-1077260
1-Newbie

Making a dimpled surface

Hello,

I need to make several small shoe tread areas that have a dimpled tread pattern like the surface of a golf ball. I am looking for good tips on how to do this easily. I have to make several of these. Attached is a screen shot that has curves projected onto my surface to show the layout.

Thanks,

James

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

You'll be OK with the low curvature surface pictured but remember asthe curvature increases you will have issues with increment spacing and may end end up having to create multiple patterns or individual elements. As you have a curved surface it is unlikely you'll get a Fill pattern to run robustly, a Dimension pattern is generally the best option - most power, most flexibility - but you do have to watch your referencing. Remember that any references you create have to be satisfied for every instance in the pattern - this is the most common reason more complex patterns fall over.

create a point on the solid surface ref to vert planes

create a revolve on a plane thru the point - make sure you only use the point as a sketch reference, delete all other refs

Group the set of features used to create the feature - in my case, the point, revolve with internal plane and sketch, fillet

Dimension pattern the Group - if you add a dimension from the group of features you can vary it within each instance by an increment - I've added the radius of the revolve section in direction 1 and increased it by 0.5 for each instance

Then simply extrude > cut the overbuilt pattern

By projecting a curve on the surface, creating a point on the curve [ata distance from the end of the curve]and then patterning the point along the curve you can achieve a contant, absolute distance between your instances but this will only be in one direction. You may be able to pattern the pattern but I never got to the bottom of the rules for when you can do this - sometimes you can sometimes not

Sean

Top Tags