cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Manual Mass Calculation

krichardson
1-Newbie

Manual Mass Calculation

We have a component part where the model was supplied by a vendor. We know the actual mass of the part and would like to use that value instead of trying to calculate a value from a material. We especially need this weight value to propagate up through the assembly model.

Thanks, Kathy

Wildfire 3.0

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

you can adjust the density of your part in order to match the real
weight of the component.

hth

Vassilis Anagnostopoulos

SPIDER SA
Industrial Area - Rodotopi
45500 - Ioannina
Greece

Pick Edit > Setup > Mass Props

Change the pull down menu from 'Geometry' to 'Geometry and Parameters'

Pick the Edit button

Enter the Mass into the appropriate cell

Pick OK button

Pick Generate Report button (you'll see the entered mass shown here)

Note: When using the menu pick Analysis > Model > Mass Props be sure to change the radio button from 'Computed' to 'Assigned'

... ... ...

I can't find a way to make it automatically use assigned mass props if one exists. I remember someone once told me there was a config for this, but I cannot figure out what it's called. Then again, maybe this config doesn't exist for some mysterious reason.

In Reply to Kathy Richardson:

We have a component part where the model was supplied by a vendor. We know the actual mass of the part and would like to use that value instead of trying to calculate a value from a material. We especially need this weight value to propagate up through the assembly model.

Thanks, Kathy

Wildfire 3.0

I also cannot find this function in Creo 2.0. Does anyone know where this was moved to or what the name was changed to? (Or confirm that this functionality was removed for Creo?)

In Reply to Don Senchuk:

Pick Edit > Setup > Mass Props

Change the pull down menu from 'Geometry' to 'Geometry and Parameters'

Pick the Edit button

Enter the Mass into the appropriate cell

Pick OK button

Pick Generate Report button (you'll see the entered mass shown here)

Note: When using the menu pick Analysis > Model > Mass Props be sure to change the radio button from 'Computed' to 'Assigned'

... ... ...

I can't find a way to make it automatically use assigned mass props if one exists. I remember someone once told me there was a config for this, but I cannot figure out what it's called. Then again, maybe this config doesn't exist for some mysterious reason.

In Reply to Kathy Richardson:

Thanks, Kathy

Wildfire 3.0

If there's a config to force the use of an assigned mass I'd love to
know. I got burned with a client a few years ago when I spent weeks
developing a product with several purchased components. We had an
aggressive weight target and we had hit it. I sent the assembly to the
client and he immediately clicked Analysis > Model > Mass Props and it
indicated that we had missed the target by a factor of 4! It took me a
few hours of frantic head scratching to find out that Pro/E was ignoring
my assigned mass.

Once we figured that out, all was right, but it cast a doubt on the mass
calculations in Pro/E, not to mention on us. Not a happy day.

I cannot figure out why the assigned mass would be ignored by default.
Why would I enter it if I didn't want it used?

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

File, Prepare, Mass Properties - pick Change and then you'll see the Mass Properties dialog box.

Your options are Geometry and Density, Geometry and Parameters, and Fully Assigned

Thank you all for your input. In Winldfire 3.0 I was able to use Don's method to assign the mass value I needed.

Top Tags