cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Measure distance issue

jeffsampson
1-Newbie

Measure distance issue

body{font-family: Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color: #ffffff;color: black;}
I was trying to find the wall thickness between 2 features. I picked the arc of the feature on the outside, and the surface (planar) of a feature on the inside. Pro "assumes" that I want distance to the plane and checks the box for me (I'll leave that to another rant). It tells me that the nearest point is 1.73mm away. when I uncheck the "use as plane" box, it tells me the nearest distance is 1.47mm ?!?!?!!!!!! If the nearest point between the arc and the surface is 1.47, how can the nearest point between the are and the surface plane be 1.73? The one thing I noticed is that the 1.73 was measured to the end of the arc for some dumb reason. The nearest point was in the middle of the arc. I redid the measurement using the surface that the arc is part of, and got the same result.

WF4 M150
Is there a known issue with WF4 or M150? A fix?

Jeff
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Pictures would help understand, it’s a bit hard to explain without them, but I’m going to try anyway.

When Pro/E uses a surface as a plane, it measures normal to that surface. So the 1.73 is the distance normal to the planar surface. When not used as a plane, it’s simple the shortest distance found.

Pro/E will also show a line where the distance is being calculated, that should help you see what it’s doing.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

body{font-family: Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color: #ffffff;color: black;}
Thanks to Terry for at least one solution to my issue.
clearance_triangulation
I experimented with the clearance_triangulation option and got better results. Interestingly, when it was set to 'none' or 'low' I got the same erroneous result as before, but set to 'medium' or 'high' I got the correct result whether measuring to the surface or using the "Use as plane" option.
Regards,
Jeff
--
Jeff Sampson Engineering
-

I had a similar issue.

Going to build 200, plus setting clearance_triangulation=high fixed it.

Dorothy Ruohonen

Hawk Technologies

Top Tags