cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Metric Thread Note, English Part

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Metric Thread Note, English Part

Creo 2, M230

I've got an English part that has metric external threads.  I've created the thread in the part as metric (M18 x 2.5), but when I show the thread note, it maddeningly shows it in inches:

Capture.JPG

Who wants this and more importantly, how do I fix it?

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
10 REPLIES 10

Oh Doug...  Funny how that works huh.

Are your thread notes custom?  Somehow Creo is suppose to convert that which is on the tables to some acceptable form for a note.  This seems to happened in background because I have not found one thing that shows the variables used in the thread notes.

I, for one, have no patience nor time for these "good efforts" by PTC.  I have work to get done and these little things just slow people down.

If indeed this level of associativity is a requirement for the organization, then these questions should have become obvious when the organization defined the process of using Creo (standards and policies).  If that is the case, then this should also be thrown back over the wall to determine the "'right" way everyone should be dealing with this condition.  I come from an organization where 50% of drafting time was wasted on nonsense rules.  It didn't make better drawings and it didn't get the support it needed.  It just wasted time for 6-someodd drafters and a handful of engineers.  PTC could go a long way to make some intelligent editors for these many tables that Creo relies on.  Some level of update support would also be very welcome.

I doubt there are custom notes, but it's possible.

Interestingly, the notes for the threaded holes display properly, well, at least in metric.  It's only this cosmetic thread applied to represent the external threads.  Also, the hole notes end up on my notes layer, this one didn't.  It's special in some way, I guess.

I'm trying to use the built in tools for threads in Creo, but I'm moving back to ignoring them and just adding a dumb note on the drawing (which s my default work around here).

--
LinkedIn

It is only special as in the fact that it was relegated to legacy status.

Cosmetic threads are out of sync with threaded holes capabilities.

Personally, I think that ignoring cosmetic threads was a clumsy mistake in the new thread definition efforts.

We should have class A and class B threads that can be applied in exactly the same way.

And who knows, maybe they did something about it with a different method, but not something obvious that I can find.

I deleted the thread feature and went with a manual note.  Turns out I needed an M18 x 1.50 and that's not even an option in Creo.

--
LinkedIn

I am still very satisfied in the fact that I completely ignore PTC's thread notes.

These tables are so badly out of date that every time I want to see the thread chamfer, they come in as 0 (zero) from a table somewhere.

Add the exit chamfer, another zero.

Good effort; poor tools.

If I had 20+ drafters and engineers, I would have someone clean up the tables and move them to a library location that would not be volatile to version updates.

Instead, I have me and several clients with their own take on what a drawing should look like.

Guess who's always "right"

This is why dimensions should have individual units.

‌From what I've seen the values used in the note seem to just be parameters that don't control the cosmetic geometry. The cosmetic appears to pull the BASIC_DIAM, THREAD, and TAP_DR OR TAP_DEC dimension values from the hole tables but they don't appear to be tied to it. I'm able to change the major diameter, minor diameter, and pitch values to metric on the properties tab, the dimension that controls the cosmetic geometry doesn't appear there. You can create .thr file that has the thread parameters for reuse in other parts. A note feature isn't created for a cosmetic like it is for a hole.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Kevin)

True, this is why I called it Legacy.  It made a lot more sense in the past.  Was it WF or Creo that created the new variables internally?

‌Not sure about that. I started on 2000i and 2001 but only used these versions for about 3 months until we moved to WF2. I didn't use cosmetic threads till WF3 or WF5 but I only use them for display purposes I don't use the note I usually create that manually. I want to say it changed with Creo as I seem to remember the thread cosmetic changed when the major and minor diameter values in the .thr file were changed at some point and that you couldn't specify a thread standard from a hole file but I used cosmetic threads so infrequently that I can't say for sure.

To be honest, I have found Creo's thread notes are pretty terrible for the most part. I always add them in manually as a leader note. Otherwise, I would recommend updating the part to be in metric.

Top Tags