cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Mid-Plane in Patterned part

Daves1
1-Newbie

Mid-Plane in Patterned part

I'm trying to create a plane (via relations?) at the midpoint of the length of a patterned part. Does anyone know how to do this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Daves1)

For the most part, an equation in relations would be appropriate.

Personally, I prefer geometry to do the work for me and have no issues with creating such to drive datum features.

The midplane-datum that I needed to create is for a mirrored feature that is only on the ends of the model. Creating the model this way means that no matter how many instances there are in the pattern, the end features are always on the ends because it is mirrored about the mid-plane.

nluyt
1-Newbie
(To:Daves1)

Hey Dave, How about using a datum point, created on an edge or curve, it gives you the option to position the point at a percentage ratio along the length of the edge/curve. In this case you would put it on 0.5, which will keep it in the middle. Now you can create a datum plane referencing this point.

Daves1
1-Newbie
(To:nluyt)

All,

Thanks for the help! With your help, I've figured it out.

• Create a Datum plane offset from a normal edge of the pattern
  • Create a Relation
    • Click on the datum you created in step 1, and select the dimension for the datum offset (d23). It is automatically inserted in the relations dialog box.
  • In the Relations dialog box type '=' and click on the pattern. You will see the pattern variable (p12 LOCAL_GROUPS), select it.
  • Enterr the relation formula - My formula is: d23=(p12/2)*.1 where .1 is the increment of the pattern.

It took me a bit to figure this out, so I hope that this helps somone else!

Dave

Top Tags