cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Model Check for External References

hubbardm
1-Newbie

Model Check for External References

We are in a mixed environment. We are using ProE and NX in a MultiCAD environment. We have ProE users learning NX and vise versa. We're finding external references for various reasons. I think some of it is from trying to uses ProE like NX. There are many things you can do in NX that do not create external references that do in ProE.

So with that as background, we need a way to check files to insure they don't contain external references. We have Model Check. I have never configured it. I'm trying to get a feel for what it can do with regard to external references.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hey Mike,

I like your idea of using ModelCheck to filter these relationships before they make it to "common space".

Consider preventing external references altogether with the following config setting:

default_ext_ref_scope none
scope_invalid_refs prohibit

I have done basic testing on this and it seems to work fine. If others have tried this solution, I would be happy to learn from your experience(s).

Best wishes,
Jered

Config settings specifics:

default_ext_ref_scope
Set default scope for externally referenced models.
All - Any model.
None - Only current model and children
Skeletons - Any component in model's assembly and higher skeletons on branch
Subassembly - Only components and children in model's assembly

scope_invalid_refs
Prohibit - System will abort all attempts to create external reference violating the scope
Backup - Warning appears. Abort reference creation or declare as out-of scope reference...

Top Tags