cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Model Parameters

JamesBurcham
4-Participant

Model Parameters

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask anyway, hoping someone knows a way. Is there a way to have a string parameter look at a real number parameter.

For example I have a string parameter called "PART_DESC" the value is "1/4x4 SQ TUBE M@X". the "M@X" is for the miter angle of the tube. I want this to auto populate based on the angle parameter used to control the cut in the part.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to do this.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In Relations:

string_param = "1/4x4 SQ TUBE M@" + itos(angle_param) + "°"

assuming I've understood your requirement correctly (although you might have to use Symbol Palette in a drawing to get the degree sign, and clipboard it into the relation).

If it's not an integer it will, in fact, round up or down - I thought it only rounded down but I've just tested it (WF4) and itos(3.7) is "4"!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

There's a function called "itos" - Integer TO String - which pretty much does what it says.

Getting it to round up is a little trickier (though entirely possible) but if your angle is an integer to start with, it should present no problem.

I can make the angle parameter an integer. How would I write the string parameter to use the integer parameter? Remember I want the integer to replace the X at the end of the string. "4 X 1/4 SQ TUBE M1@X"

In Relations:

string_param = "1/4x4 SQ TUBE M@" + itos(angle_param) + "°"

assuming I've understood your requirement correctly (although you might have to use Symbol Palette in a drawing to get the degree sign, and clipboard it into the relation).

If it's not an integer it will, in fact, round up or down - I thought it only rounded down but I've just tested it (WF4) and itos(3.7) is "4"!

That works perfectly and it rounding is far better then me writing a relation to round the angle. Knowing this I'm now wondering if I can incorporate this into a family table.

Table.png

I don't know whether that will work directly, but you can include a calculated parameter in a family table. The only drawback is that you have to open and regen each instance individually to update its parameter value, AFAIK - there's no way to update the whole table.

I've been playing with this and so far I haven't found to do this in the family table. I was hoping to avoid using a calculated parameter, but I guess thats what I will have to do.

Thanks for the help.

The Family Table Tools->Verify command should recalculate the whole table.

I don't believe it recalculates relations and parameters in each instance, or if it does then they aren't stored back to the family table.

That was my experience last time I tried, anyway...

It repopulated the family table correctly simply by verifying the instances.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags